Best blades for a Gillette Tech

Your self effacing honesty is refreshing as many new wet shavers nowadays immediately want to blow a boatload of cash on the latest greatest artisan razors. Listen to me when I say stay with the Tech for a daily driver. I use one for 99% of my shaving and only shake my head when some claim it's too mild. If I want I can get a BBS shave with one if I go ATG, however I rarely do that as at least for me it can result in ingrown hairs.

There is a "sweet spot" with the Tech and if you find it you'll have a "Eureka" moment. As for blades, I think you'll figure that out on your own as you already seem to have a good grasp. ;)

I'm in agreement.

My opinion may appear anathema to some, but IMO I can hardly tell any difference between shaves when using any quality Gillette blade and in conjunction with damn near any decent shave soap and in any of my stable of Tech razors. The only exception is that the post-war ones are a little smoother. Perhaps better blade rigidity......in theory. Regardless, I am thoroughly convinced that (at least for me) it's all in the prep which most importantly entails using a quality face wash/cleanser beforehand. Minimum of three minutes water exposure plus really good face lathering as well as letting the lather sit for a minute or two before shaving "opened" the door to boringly incredible shaves for me, i.e., they are essentially the same for all intents & purposes.

My opinion may appear anathema to some, but IMO I can hardly tell any difference between shaves when using any quality Gillette blade and in conjunction with damn near any decent shave soap and in any of my stable of Tech razors. The only exception is that the post-war ones are a little smoother. Perhaps better blade rigidity......in theory. Regardless, I am thoroughly convinced that (at least for me) it's all in the prep which most importantly entails using a quality face wash/cleanser beforehand. Minimum of three minutes water exposure plus really good face lathering as well as letting the lather sit for a minute or two before shaving "opened" the door to boringly incredible shaves for me, i.e., they are essentially the same for all intents & purposes.
This.

I'm going to have to disagree with you BM.

How else can I justify my BAD?

I'm going to have to disagree with you BM.

How else can I justify my BAD?

Oh I still have a little of that affliction, but not much left. The only one really left I want to try has proved the most elusive to obtain, the Gillette Rubie Ultra Stainless sold only in the Philippines and it appears no vendor there will ship to the USA that I can find. :cry:

Last edited:
Oh I still have a little of that affliction, but not much left. The only one really left I want to try has proved the most elusive to obtain, the Gillette Rubie Ultra Stainless sold only in the Philippine and it appears no vendor there will ship to the USA that I can find. :cry:

Have you tried contacting Razor Blades Club to find out whether they stock it?

Generally, if there's a blade that can be sold, they will sell it!

Have you tried contacting Razor Blades Club to find out whether they stock it?

Generally, if there's a blade that can be sold, they will sell it!

He told me in an e-mail last year that he could not get that one. Too many hurdles. Here in the USA we have excellent relations with that country not unlike Britain and Nepal historically, but no one there (at least smaller than a mega corp.) will ship to the USA. Expensive & legal paperwork out the wazoo. :( Believe me, I have tried on Shopee and others. No dice.

Back
Top Bottom