Best blades for a Gillette Tech

I'm after some advice, gents. Taking into account the usual YMMV caveat, what would you recommend to pair with a 60's Tech? I've changed the handle to a much heavier one, and loved the shave, but the first run with a Super-Max Blue Diamond was just far too mild. I'd be interested to hear what you use with yours - I know the Winner does a good job for me, but are there any I should consider outside of the current batch of Gillettes that perform in other razors for me - London Bridge, Super Blue, Nacet? I'm talking Tech-specific here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Any sharp good quality blade, I use Souplex or Feather in my Tech but there are plenty more to try.

Paul.
I still have a couple of Souplex you kindly sent me a while ago Paul, so I'll run one through. Is it sad that I've bought Feathers but not had the confidence to use one? I put it down to my klutzy accident-proneness with anything sharper than a plastic spoon:rolleyes:

I'm after some advice, gents. Taking into account the usual YMMV caveat, what would you recommend to pair with a 60's Tech? I've changed the handle to a much heavier one, and loved the shave, but the first run with a Super-Max Blue Diamond was just far too mild. I'd be interested to hear what you use with yours - I know the Winner does a good job for me, but are there any I should consider outside of the current batch of Gillettes that perform in other razors for me - London Bridge, Super Blue, Nacet? I'm talking Tech-specific here.

Thanks in advance.

What blades do you already have?

What blades do you already have?
@donnie_arko , aside from bulks of Tiger Platinum, Super-Max and Derby, I have varying tucks of (in no particular order):

Gillettes: 7 o'clock Sharp Edge, 7 o'clock Super Stainless, 365, Nacet
Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP &SS
Kai Stainless
Couple of blades of Polisilver, Timor and Souplex
Feather
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum

I know some will work OK from when I got it, but I don't want OK any more. I want a shave that warrants keeping the Tech in my rotation when the Merkur 34C and Parker Interceptor can give me a a DFS with little effort. Thought it worth checking before I place an order for a load more Gillettes that I know go well through my other razors.

@donnie_arko , aside from bulks of Tiger Platinum, Super-Max and Derby, I have varying tucks of (in no particular order):

Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP &SS
Kai Stainless
Feather
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum

I know some will work OK from when I got it, but I don't want OK any more. I want a shave that warrants keeping the Tech in my rotation when the Merkur 34C and Parker Interceptor can give me a a DFS with little effort. Thought it worth checking before I place an order for a load more Gillettes that I know go well through my other razors.
Definitely would give an outing of feather in it - they sound scarier than they actually are (I was the same, putting away trying them for quite a while ), voskhod worked well for me in tech too. Kai could be quite good too but yet to test it in the tech

I still have a couple of Souplex you kindly sent me a while ago Paul, so I'll run one through. Is it sad that I've bought Feathers but not had the confidence to use one? I put it down to my klutzy accident-proneness with anything sharper than a plastic spoon:rolleyes:
Try a Feather in the Tech, they are not a long lasting as the Souplex but are as sharp.

Paul.

Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP &SS
Kai Stainless
Feather
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum

Cheers for the info,

From your list I have starred the ones I have used and would recommend to use in a Tech

Gillettes: 7 o'clock Sharp Edge*, 7 o'clock Super Stainless*, 365*, Nacet*
Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP* & SS*
Kai Stainless
Couple of blades of Polisilver*, Timor and Souplex
Feather*
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum*
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum*

I've used all these blades in Techs and had good shaves with them.

If I was you though, I'd start with the Astra SP. There's a reason why it's the benchmark blade, it's pretty much right in the middle. If you can't get a good shave with it, then move onto something sharper.

Techs can be a bit of a strange razor to use to begin with, they have quite a narrow window for the right angle. Once you find it, I find they actually suit far more blades than one might expect, especially for daily shaves.

Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP &SS
Kai Stainless
Feather
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum

To be honest, given the amount of blades you’ve been through and have, do you think it might be the razor that is just ‘ok’? I haven’t tried the Parker, but the 34HD is somewhat heavier. Some find the Techs too ‘mild’. Maybe (and please, this is only a suggestion) you need a more assertive razor? But, to be fair, you offered the caveat at the start of your post: ‘YMMV’.

Thank you gents. It's good to know there are some blades in my existing arsenal to elevate the humble Tech, and also a couple I've tried previously through other razors that I'd be happy to purchase again. I am, however, slightly disappointed (and relieved at the same time) that nobody threw a complete curveball enabler into the mix - "this is the blade you must source NOW or your Tech will languish in mediocrity forever" ;) :ROFLMAO:
Cheers for the info,

From your list I have starred the ones I have used and would recommend to use in a Tech

Gillettes: 7 o'clock Sharp Edge*, 7 o'clock Super Stainless*, 365*, Nacet*
Tatra Platinum
Voskhod
Astra SP* & SS*
Kai Stainless
Couple of blades of Polisilver*, Timor and Souplex
Feather*
Rapira Platinum
Treet Carbon & Platinum*
Dorco Prime
Wilkinson Sword
Zorrik
Lancet Platinum*

I've used all these blades in Techs and had good shaves with them.

If I was you though, I'd start with the Astra SP. There's a reason why it's the benchmark blade, it's pretty much right in the middle. If you can't get a good shave with it, then move onto something sharper.

Techs can be a bit of a strange razor to use to begin with, they have quite a narrow window for the right angle. Once you find it, I find they actually suit far more blades than one might expect, especially for daily shaves.
I think I settled for mediocrity when I first got the Tech, and it's only since I got a bit more experience I realised it could be much more. Thanks for the input @donnie_arko - time to revisit with a number of your recommendations (y)

Thank you gents. It's good to know there are some blades in my existing arsenal to elevate the humble Tech, and also a couple I've tried previously through other razors that I'd be happy to purchase again. I am, however, slightly disappointed (and relieved at the same time) that nobody threw a complete curveball enabler into the mix - "this is the blade you must source NOW or your Tech will languish in mediocrity forever" ;) :ROFLMAO:

I think I settled for mediocrity when I first got the Tech, and it's only since I got a bit more experience I realised it could be much more. Thanks for the input @donnie_arko - time to revisit with a number of your recommendations (y)
The Tech is anything but mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom