Bargain SE razors

After reading many threads about SE razors, and having tried DE and straights, decided to look for a good condition Gem razor. Found a listing on Ebay for 1 Gem streamline, 1 Gem 1912, a spare head for a 1912, 1 x Myall razor of which i know nothing about, a rolls case with strop and hone and a silver Gillette razor case with some SE blades.

Starting price was £10, so watched it until the last day. Put in a bid for £10, with 6 watchers, and won it, couldnt beleive it as all the razors are in excellent condition. All the blades look like they are for the Gem razors, bit of rust on but sharp, not sure if they can be cleaned and used? Anyway, going to order some blades from Connaught, and give them a go.

PhilD said:
Nice haul! I had them in my watch list then forgot to bid, as usual :)

Thanks mate, you saved me some dosh. Thought they would go for £30.

pjgh said:
Good catch! Very good catch if you got a Streamline in there.

Don't even risk rusty blades. Get some fresh new ones.

...if you need advice about cleaning them up so they sparkle, just shout.

Thanks Paul, they are quite sparkly on the outside, but inside the heads are not as good, what do you recommend? The other razor in the lot isnt as good condition so any advice on cleaning very welcome.

pjgh said:
Peek Polish! I bloomin' love the stuff. Squirt a little in and rub away gently with a toothbrush until it starts going black ... wash out with squirty hand soap. Gleaming razors will result.

Thanks Paul, never heard of it, can you get it in supermarkets?

I've a Wilkinson Sword Ever ready on the way, boxed with presumably old blades. What I still have is a cassette splicing kit I bought in 1980 that has two single edge blades used for cutting cassette tape. And no, I won't be shaving with them either. But I will use one to see how it fits into the razor, that's all. Then I'll order some new SE blades.

Back
Top Bottom