Barbershop Bay Rum Aftershave

one of the ingredients in my Bay Rum is Bay Oil (Pimenta Racemosa) and all Spice Berries so you get that Familiar Scent of the "bay Rum Plant" as you call it but there is also Bay laurel Leaves in there and other things like orange and tangerine peel cinammon, a tiny bit of ginger etc etc

Just sniff it when it arrives, i hope you like it......

i have just received five 5ltr Drums as i have had so many requests from people that i dont think my batch of 3 ltrs will last long, and i actually cleared the shelves in Julian Graves of the spices i need !!!! :shock: :eek:

:D :D

We'll soon see you on Dragons Den coming up the stairs with a guitar singing "You want my Sunbury Bay Rum, You want my Sunbury Bay Rum" and asking for finance for a million bay trees.

3512702452_cece477725.jpg

Hiya,

First, let me mention I normally don't use alcohol based aftershaves on my face, but I'll apply em like an EdT sometimes. Heh, I can't tell you how effective this product is, but I'll give my thoughts on the scent.

Up for review is Steve's home made Bay Rum concoction. I've had some time to wear it and I'll try for an accurate description. Heh, that's really not my strong suit, so we'll see how this goes. I can say I've sniffed many bay rum versions of various soaps/creams/colognes, and have a pretty good idea of what I look for in that scent.

Most of the more popular and traditional bay rum products I've tried are gonna be more of a single note, that being from the Pimenta Racemosa EO used. Even the more expensive versions will tend to smell very similar to the others. The most apparent differences occur when other notes such as orange, clove, or lime are added to the mix. That's when the creator of the stuff gets to show his interpretation on a theme.

This is what we have here with Steve's elixer. He's used the bay rum EO, along with a bunch of other notes to create something a bit different from the normal 'bay rum' juice I'm used to sniffing. Yeah, this is a sorta bay rum melange, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, I find almost all the single note bay rum colognes to be a little dull after about half an hour or so. Seems like the scent flattens out a little....a bit less vibrant than the opening notes for sure. The drydown is a muted spiciness that wears very close with little projection or sillage. I have a few bay rum colognes in my rotation, but there's not much difference between em. One thing they all have in common is the scent is pretty much gone within a few hours at the most. Yeah, for some reason, none of the juice lasts long at all. Seeing as how this Barbershop product is aftershave strength, it will disappear even faster. That's not a bad thing at all, seeing as how it won't clash with any EdT that might be applied afterwards. Heh, maybe with some of Steve's concentrated extrait or something else to be created in the future would be good........

The Barbershop AS has lots more going on with it, and to me it's more user friendly in some ways. Certainly more interesting than the usual bay rums out there, which means it's gonna be hit or miss for each nose. For example, this version has a good bit more clove than most others I've sniffed. So keep that in mind if you like that note or not. It plays a big role in the opening, along with the Pimenta Racemosa, but fades to the background in a little while.

The Barbershop AS is on the sweet side, when compared to the other dryer versions I've sniffed. That, plus some other ingredients added, tends to give this stuff an almost foody kinda slant to it. It's not unpleasant, just different from what I'm used to. It's a well rounded melange, rather than straight ahead bay rum. Surprisingly, the drydown is pretty similar to the others I've sniffed.

I'd definitely suggest giving this juice a try. It's an interesting take on a fragrance that can be a little boring at time. There's some whimsey here.......Steve's product has that feel of something home made. Heh, you can tell he likes clove, and that note plays a large role here. That's something to keep in mind if it's not a scent you care for. The Pimenta Racemosa EO is the main thing going on though, which is how it should be with a bay rum frag. It's made a little more fun and accessible with the various other additions to the single note, and that's the charm of this aftershave.

Martin

Update: I've since used this product as an aftershave, and it was quite pleasant. No burn to speak of, which works well for me.

Pig Cat said:
[

I've tried two other bay rums before this and they are all a bit different. The thing that put me off most about the others was the predominance of cloves whereas with Sunbury's they don't take centre stage.

Hi PC,

I'm sorry to inform you that your nose is screwed up. There's actually lots of clove in Steve's aftershave.

Sorry for the bad news,

Martin

Well, just got back from a day out at folly farm adventure park, legs hurting like hell but sitting there was a pacel, opened it and there was my bottle of Bay Rum, looooonnnngggg sniffs later, I have fporgotten my legs and have a smile on my chops. Looking forward to tomorrow when I can put some one

A Big thank you to both sunburyboy93 and Pig Cat

dodgy said:
Well, I have one possible suggestion for getting yourself a sniff of bay rum. Now keep in mind it 's only one version of that fragrance, but it's a common one used in many bay rum products. Sometimes it's used as a base and other notes are added like clove, orange, lime, and stuff like that. The single note juice is called Pimenta Racemosa.
Just a week ago I finally found somewhere where I could sniff it. It seems interesting..
And then the email came in from Steve & I ordered a bottle. It's only a fiver so what the heck. It's a long wait now :shave

And of course a thanks to everybody for enlightening me. I sure hope I'll like it.

/m

dodgy said:
Pig Cat said:
[

I've tried two other bay rums before this and they are all a bit different. The thing that put me off most about the others was the predominance of cloves whereas with Sunbury's they don't take centre stage.

Hi PC,

I'm sorry to inform you that your nose is screwed up. There's actually lots of clove in Steve's aftershave.

Sorry for the bad news,

Martin

That's OK Martin, I took the news on the chin. Well, yes there are cloves there but not compared to the Ogollala bay rum and another that I can't recall the name of. Or my brain is just warming to the scent of cloves. This is why I rarely write reviews. :roll:

Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:
Pig Cat said:
[

That's OK Martin, I took the news on the chin. Well, yes there are cloves there but not compared to the Ogollala bay rum and another that I can't recall the name of. Or my brain is just warming to the scent of cloves. This is why I rarely write reviews. :roll:

What's up PC,

Although I haven't sniffed the Ogallala bay rum, I've heard one version does have a fair bit of clove going on. No idea which other brand you mean, but I'm sure there's some others with a strong clove note. I can see why you said what you did, maybe because you haven't sampled all that many bay rum fragrances. You were right in what you said, as far as you knew.

Personally, I don't mind that clove note in bay rum, but I prefer it more in the background. Same goes for orange oil......a little of that can be a nice touch when added to a single note bay rum. Pimenta Racemosa (bay rum EO) can be a little dull by itself, especially after the initial application and just before the drydown.

Here's some of the various bay rum colognes and EdTs I've sniffed over the years. One thing they all have in common is short longevity. Yeah, after a couple hours at the most, the majority of em just kinda fades away.

Martin

Attachments

• bay rum sampler.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 72
Been using Steve's Bay Rum over the last couple of days and, have to say, am really enjoying it. Fullsome smell of cloves at first (for an ideal for myself I'd tone this down just a tad), but overall a lovely aftershave with a great smell once applied and settled down. Am a huge fan of the dropper, which lets a clumsy oaf like myself control the amount which goes on my hand, with the aftershave itself being decently thick, which gives a really nice, warm glow feeling when applied. Highly recommended and deserving of a shave smilie --> :shave

Am also glad to see that Steve will have another batch ready in a couple of weeks, as I'll be getting another bottle in :D

PompeyBill said:
Been using Steve's Bay Rum over the last couple of days and, have to say, am really enjoying it. Fullsome smell of cloves at first (for an ideal for myself I'd tone this down just a tad), but overall a lovely aftershave with a great smell once applied and settled down. Am a huge fan of the dropper, which lets a clumsy oaf like myself control the amount which goes on my hand, with the aftershave itself being decently thick, which gives a really nice, warm glow feeling when applied. Highly recommended and deserving of a shave smilie --> :shave

Am also glad to see that Steve will have another batch ready in a couple of weeks, as I'll be getting another bottle in :D

Are you wearing it or drinking it? :hungrig :hungrig

Back
Top Bottom