Barbers Notch

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
Howzit All, (prepare for a semi-lengthy and rambling post)

I've got the itch for the straights again, I'm contemplating revisiting a Koraat 14-2.0 with a few upgrades on the configurator.

I've got the majority of the options set in my head, but there's one part that I'm bouncing around and can't settle on, and it's the point.

I'm leaning towards a large barbers notch with a rounded point. Now this is mainly for aesthetics, I love the look of the vintage wade & butcher efforts (and the rest of their brethren).

The main one on this is whether there are any negatives for opting for this type of point over say a standard square/round point? I'm only really looking for negatives as if there are positives then that's a bonus, I just love the look.

I've read all sorts over the interweb but as with most things it's contradictory and I trust you lot, so any advice or opinions are most welcome.

Cheers

Marc

Edit: I did try to do a search on here but came up blank, so if there is info elsewhere that I can read then apologies for wasting your time but would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited:
Howzit All, (prepare for a semi-lengthy and rambling post)

I've got the itch for the straights again, I'm contemplating revisiting a Koraat 14-2.0 with a few upgrades on the configurator.

I've got the majority of the options set in my head, but there's one part that I'm bouncing around and can't settle on, and it's the point.

I'm leaning towards a large barbers notch with a rounded point. Now this is mainly for aesthetics, I love the look of the vintage wade & butcher efforts (and the rest of their brethren).

The main one on this is whether the are any negatives for opting for this type of point over say a standard square/round point? I'm only really looking for negatives as if there are positives then that's a bonus, I just love the look.

I've read all sorts over the interweb but as with most things it's contradictory and I trust you lot, so any advice or opinions are most welcome.

Cheers

Marc

Edit: I did try to do a search on here but came up blank, so if there is info elsewhere that I can read then apologies for wasting your time but would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
I can't see there being any negatives in having a barbers notch with a round tip, if that's what you want I say you should go for it!

Paul.

I like the looks of that shape too, all my straights are either round point or in the case of my Koraat 14/2.0 an unmuted square point which can be useful for shaping but 95% just presents a hazard! One of the nicest shapes I've seen was described as an English toe, which could loosely be described as a round point with a notch. So unless you're in the habit of using the point for shaping edges of goatee or sideburns I say go for it. I would if I were buying another Koraat.
Not sure if this was the pic I was thinking of but this is what I mean. This one is by Drew Dick (no, sadly I don't own it, if only!)
Screenshot_20230403_004644_Google.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see there being any negatives in having a barbers notch with a round tip, if that's what you want I say you should go for it!

Paul.
Nice one cheers Paul!

I like the looks of that shape too, all my straights are either round point or in the case of my Koraat 14/2.0 an unmuted square point which can be useful for shaping but 95% just presents a hazard! One of the nicest shapes I've seen was described as an English toe, which could loosely be described as a round point with a notch. So unless you're in the habit of using the point for shaping edges of goatee or sideburns I say go for it. I would if I were buying another Koraat.
Not sure if this was the pic I was thinking of but this is what I mean. This one is by Drew Dick (no, sadly I don't own it, if only!)
View attachment 103374
Yeah my Friodurs are square point with a slightly muted tip and the Koraat, as with yourself, is unmuted. It punishes when I get a bit slapdash!

The other couple are round and whilst I do have sideburns they aren't so sharp or groomed that a round causes issues, I can find the cutting edge with enough accuracy to make them neat.

But that drew dick pic (ahem) wasn't far from the mark, I might take the round down a notch so it was something akin to these (but probably somewhere between the extremes):

Screenshot_20230401_220901_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230401_220913_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230401_220927_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230401_223104_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230401_221132_Facebook.jpg

So the aim at the moment is something like this with some understated spine work and fine filing in the thumb notch, black and white horn scales in the style of the 4th pic with nickel silver rivets and wedge spacer. I'm still flipping back and forth on the grind, whether I go full hollow Sheffield style or the double concave bellied full hollow.

I've got a very definite picture in my head but that configurator does keep spinning me every time I go back to it...choices choices!

Cheers

Marc

Stunners one and all! The only real difference then is a sharper heel I wonder whether he would contemplate rounding that out so it really does mimic it, may be worth an ask.

I honestly don't know why the style draws me as much as it does, it's probably as simple as it being a classic.

Apart from the Koraat route there are many that I've almost hit the button on just to get a vintage instead (or more likely in addition) but I'm always wary as I can't judge condition well from pics.

There was/is a Frederick Reynolds Swayback on Griffith Shaving that I still keep going back to in my bookmarks lol

Thus far I think I'm sold, thank you all!

I don't blame you for feeling drawn to the style. Every time Mark posts that T. Turton in the Straight of the Day thread I have to remind myself I've said how nice I think it is many times already lol! I'm loathe to buy any more straights until I feel more confident in getting the edge I want but at some point I'll get one with this kind of shape just because I think they look so good.

I'm loathe to buy any more straights until I feel more confident in getting the edge I want
Yeah this is sort of where I am, I have the necessary gear (because I'm stupid and go all in on everything) but I'm not confident or competent enough to take one through a full progression and certainly not a 'nice' razor.

But saying that for £15 to get it sent out I'm not all that phased.

That looks like a nice razor, although I don't have any experience with Griffith's. They look like very reasonable prices to me.
Yeah same, never had dealings with them, just came up when I was on a Google rampage! That's good to know though, I wasn't sure where it sat in terms of pricing, though I would take the 'Shave Ready' with a pinch of salt!

That looks like a nice razor, although I don't have any experience with Griffith's. They look like very reasonable prices to me.
Bugger, they dropped it by another £10, and unfortunately my finger slipped...looks like I'm taking a gamble with Griffith's.

The custom is still very much on the cards, but I can always justify another to myself!

Excellent! Let us know how you get on when it arrives.
The modern steel and old English steel certainly shave quite differently, I generally prefer the softer feel of the old, although I have three new ones that I'm getting to like.

Most certainly will, really looking forward to it now.

I did do a little reading around Griffith's and it looks like there's been some positive experiences on the US forums. Based on posts I found around previous experiences it might actually be shave ready but I'll judge that for myself when it arrives!

Ok so the swayback is still 'in transit', it was handed off in Heathrow on the 9th April and no movement since. I'm hoping there's just a massive delay in customs. After 45 days I can drop Griffith's a line and he'll make a claim and refund, so if this goes that way I'm straight into the Koraat custom with a notch. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, I'll be gutted if this doesn't show up, it just looks so nice!
Screenshot_20230404_143942_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom