Autostrop question

Greetings

I'm sorry for only just spotting this post.

To the best of my knowledge very very few vintage razors are chrome plated, the only SE model I can think of that was routinely chromed was the ER Streamline, ER also chromed a few 1912's towards the end of their production run. GEM likewise chromed some of their Micromatic Flying Wings.

99% of all vintage razors are nickel plated. In the case of Valet Autostrops in particular the same applies, a few (mainly early models) are silver plated and even fewer were Rhodium plated. Many of the USA models were gold (gilt) plated but I am moderately confident that no English or Canadian models used the gold plating, which in any case wears off very easily.

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards
Dick.

thanks for the info dick, i thought most would be nickle as opposed to chrome, but having seen lots on auction with chrome cases listed, i was not sure whether the razor would be chrome too.

regards rob

generally chrome is resilient until it gets scratched and then you can polish the chrome but not the scratches out of the chrome, nickel tends to polish up quite nicely as does silver, some Auto strops were silver and even rhodium plated, though as you say I think the cases were routinely chromed?

Greetings

The reason the e-bay listings say chrome is simply because they are shiny and today anything that is silver coloured and shiny we assume is chrome plated, if it is relatively modern that is quite true, it generally is. This is not the case with old razors and their cases they were nearly all nickel plated. Many if not most of the descriptions on e-bay that refer to vintage razors and their cases as chrome are simply wrong.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom