Audi TFSI 2.0 Engine

jds

Hi all,

First up I am absolutely no mechanic so I don't know one end of an engine from another. Knowing where the windscreen washer fluid goes is about my limit.

There are some things I do know, though, and one is that my car should not be needing a litre of oil a week (which equates to approx 200 miles, give or take).

I have read a few Audi forums about my particular engine and the issues with oil consumption. I know that Audi have done out of warranty repairs on a good will basis. Does anyone have any experience of this? The car has done 70k miles is a 60 plate. It has always been serviced by Audi, apart from the last service. I bought it direct from Audi with 5.5k on the clock and from the off I was surprised at how much oil it used and have asked questions at pretty much every service I have had.

Interested to hear experiences with Audi Customer Services and local dealers relating to this known issue.

Ta, in advance.

Jon

If it ain't leaking oil it's consuming it internally, sounds like you need to keep a detailed account of consumption (if you haven't already) and take it further if the fix below doesn't work.

From the comments...

"My 2006 a3 has the same issue. Turns out after some long trawling on vag group forums the turned out to be a poor crank case pcv. Its a simple fix as it on the front of the engine on the valve cover. Bought new parts. 20 minutes simple diy install sorted…… it still uses about an extra 2 litres per 12k but its normal for the engine - See more at: http://garagewire.co.uk/news/bbc-highlight-audi-2-0-tfsi-oil-usage-issue/#sthash.LARQedOX.dpuf"

Hard to believe a faulty pcv would cause that much oil consumption but as it's a cheap fix it'll be worth trying.

antdad said:
If it ain't leaking oil it's consuming it internally, sounds like you need to keep a detailed account of consumption (if you haven't already) and take it further if the fix below doesn't work.

From the comments...

"My 2006 a3 has the same issue. Turns out after some long trawling on vag group forums the turned out to be a poor crank case pcv. Its a simple fix as it on the front of the engine on the valve cover. Bought new parts. 20 minutes simple diy install sorted…… it still uses about an extra 2 litres per 12k but its normal for the engine - See more at: http://garagewire.co.uk/news/bbc-highlight-audi-2-0-tfsi-oil-usage-issue/#sthash.LARQedOX.dpuf"

Hard to believe a faulty pcv would cause that much oil consumption but as it's a cheap fix it'll be worth trying.

Definitely not leaking. And I like the idea of a cheap fix. Ta

Well, from what little I've read this is a world-wide issue for Audi as there is a class action going on in the US. Unfortunately the UK doesn't have a lemon law so you are on your own and you should start making a fuss and think about getting a solicitor involved because a dealership will never admit liability and continually fob you off which is why the repairs are always undertaken "in goodwill". 1 litre per 200miles is chronic oil consumption, was the last non Audi service stamped? If not I'd consider taking it to the same dealership to have it serviced again which would give you firmer footing for any action you wish to proceed with.

Hi,

Not entirely sure, but I think this is the engine I have in my 2006 Skoda Octavia vRS. If so mine is on 70k+ miles and very occasionally I may have to add a splash of oil. By this I mean, once a year, when it is nearing its next service, it may have used enough to warrant topping it up.

1 litre every 200 miles is mad!

Matt

What is it with Audis?, everybody want them and like them but from what I read with every model they come up with there is a long log of issues that are usually not cheap to fix, shame as these are nice comfortable cars.

Shemen Zait said:
What is it with Audis?, everybody want them and like them but from what I read with every model they come up with there is a long log of issues that are usually not cheap to fix, shame as these are nice comfortable cars.

I believe that the oil consumption issue is limited to a small batch of engines, but is definitely down to faulty components, nothing due to who has serviced it etc.

It seems that a trip to my local dealer is in the offing. It's annoying as I want to sell the car (which, this issue aside, has been the best car I've ever owned), and this is clouding the sale.

Anyway, we shall see.

Wow that's a lot of oil.

I would go with Tony's suggestion then go for goodwill.

This thread may help

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0-tfsi-known-oil-consumption-problem-2015-ongoing-thread-2009-2011-models.237270/

I think that's a lot of oil, as you said its not leaking, generally speaking, the engine is consuming it. How? worn out piston rings: you would see a thicker smoke from the exhaust and smell of burnt oil, Oil leaking in through valves because of bad tappets: you would observe the same thick smoke when the engine starts and/or pulling out after engine idling for example waiting on the red light then pull out and see the thick smoke. On turbo engines faulty/bad turbo seal letting the oil in to the compressor unit (very dangerous on diesel engines, may cause runaway diesel)

Turbo, yes? One thing to check is the vacuum pipes to/from the cam cover to/from the intake manifold and turbo. You might have a one-way valve in there, which permits breathing from the cam cover while in vacuum (regular driving) and closes up when the turbo is blowing to prevent the sump pressuring up and blowing the oil out of the dipstick. I've seen this on turbo cars before and you NEVER see it as a leak, just that HUGE volumes of oil appear to just disappear over short periods of driving.

The whole thing is to do with the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) ... and a quick google reveals that TFSI engines do have a "vacuum check valve" and another quick google reveals this can be an issue when it fails.

Look for one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg

... it's the valve in front of the left hand. If you can blow through it in both directions, it's kippered. Ensure you know which way it's supposed to be before removing it so that you can refit it the correct way around.

Here's a PCV education thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/504787-PCV-Modification-and-Education-Thread

Thanks for all your responses. I will certainly check out Watchdog next week. In the meantime I put a litre of oil in last night and recorded the mileage, so it will be interesting to see when the indicator comes on next.

I am sure my engine is affected by the component manufaturing issue that is known to Audi, but I know they will use the non - Audi service to beat me with. It was back in November '14 so too late to go to Audi now.

Ho hum....

Don't be too down hearted. When I was looking into a good will claim, they look at loyalty (that's how they refer to it) so if it is almost all Audi history you should be ok, you may loose a slight bit of goodwill but should be ok.

It's worth changing the PCV but it doesn't look like a long term fix according to the Audi thread Dipesh posted.

I'd move on it as every Audi owner and his dog will be knocking a dealership's door when Watch Dog broadcast and and then I imagine it'll be about cost limitation and denial and those free rebuilds will be few and far between. I hope for your sake it isn't but I went through something similar and after months of negotiation finally got a new engine but had to pay for labour after the dealership monkeys screwed up.

The Audi UK customer phone no. Is 0800699888 and make a note/record everything said ;)

At least its not the 1400 twin charge. At worse and there a litre of oil per 300 miles and there scratching there head now as to why. And no longer use the engine in any vag group cars

Back
Top Bottom