Astra Platinum blades (Green box)

I recently bought some of these having read many good reports on this forum. Sadly they have not lived up to expectation, two maybe three good shaves per blade and they're seemingly blunt I feel like I could sit on the edge and come to no harm, though I don't intend putting it to the test:)
I might try Gillette yellows next if I can find them at a reasonable price, and I might give Polsilver a go too though they seem expensive per blade. It's a bit of trial and error finding something that suits I know, but I admit to being disappointed with the Astra's...oh well plenty more to try yet.

They used to be very well liked on here... can't say I'm overly keen. They're a decent enough blade but there are better ones out there, 7 o'clock yellow and green SS are better.

Am I right in thinking that Astras are made by Gillette in Russia?

Think a lot depends on the Razor used with them as mrkiii as suggested......I like the Astra Sp's in my Muhle R41, but I'm not overly struck on them in my 38C and Futur......they feel smooth enough,but not sharp enough....where as the aggressiveness of the R41 compensate's for this lack of edge sharpness....I really couldn't use a Feather or a Yellow in an R41

I ditch a blade after Three shaves anyway...regardless............even my favourite Feathers only get a three shave outing before being ditched....I like good shaves .....I'm not after world records.

Garbe said:
I've tried the astra green sp, I found them sharp enough but not smooth. Anyone tried the astra blue?
For me the Astra blue lasted 3 shaves and the greens about 5. Polsilver I can get 6. I would go after quality rather than quantity personally but all are great performers (Polsilver smoothest for me)

It may just be the astrological alignment of some distant planets! I opened a pack of SHARKS last Friday from a sleeve that I already started and they were terrible. I'll save them for a month and see how they are! Quel sera, sera.

I just ordered 100 Astra Greens after having a poor shave with a Personna Platinum - not rough as such but it didnt seem to handle my stubble. Previous Personnas have been fine, so I maybe have a bad batch. Anyway, my fave two brands at the moment are Personnas and Astra Greens which both give me good comfortable shaves with no irritation.

Back
Top Bottom