Astra blade fans

It's about OCD. First, i like the previous version better, it's prettier, it's more symmetrical. Symmetry means beauty. Now, the blade is "ugly", on one side has nothing, which makes it feel like a knock-off blade.

Here's an easier example. She is the same as before, but... do you really *feel* she is the same???

http://radaronline.com/photos/catherine-zeta-jones-plastic-surgery-before-after-face-doctors-photos/

To me, i just hate to look at the new blades. I wouldn't be able to buy 100 of them, let alone 1200 that i have now. I am glad i did buy them. In total, i bought more than enough blades for the rest of my life (5250 blades in 12 brands) and turns out, now i can live with peace of mind, no matter what other blades change or disappear or whatever.
Come on mate, it's only a blade...:D

You sir, are an inspiration.

I genuinely cannot understand why PPI changed the grind/character of the Astra blades.

In an italian forum, where i first read the shocking news, few have tried the new blade (since everyone seems to be stocked up with the old version), but the change in appearance can influence the perception. There is a guy who says that the blade now seems like Elios to him and he is abbandoning Astra for good. Another says they don't cut, they skip and last max 2 shaves. Another says it seems much like the old one and another that it's identical. I believe it's identical, but the uglyness of the blade is psychologically conditioning some shavers into believing it has changed. I am happy i don't have to try this on myself! :D Besides, i like numbers! Helps with blade flipping! (i know numbers are there for quality control, but i like flipping). I have also 500 Dorco Platinum and 300 Dorco ST301, that don't have numbers, BUT, at least they are pretty. Ugly AND without numbers? I could never stand this. :confused:

Come on mate, it's only a blade...:D

It's not just a blade. It's my *main* blade and the no1 blade used in Italy. It's the first blade i got complete BBS with. It's like your first love. You always remember it! :D

Maybe it is exactly the same grind/characteristics as before then!

I would expect it to be... It's a very popular blade, so why would they change it? But some people feel it as changed and i believe it's all in their mind. It's sure looks ugly now. I am so glad i had stocked up before the change. I like the old looks!

In an italian forum, where i first read the shocking news, few have tried the new blade (since everyone seems to be stocked up with the old version), but the change in appearance can influence the perception. There is a guy who says that the blade now seems like Elios to him and he is abbandoning Astra for good. Another says they don't cut, they skip and last max 2 shaves. Another says it seems much like the old one and another that it's identical. I believe it's identical, but the uglyness of the blade is psychologically conditioning some shavers into believing it has changed. I am happy i don't have to try this on myself! :D Besides, i like numbers! Helps with blade flipping! (i know numbers are there for quality control, but i like flipping). I have also 500 Dorco Platinum and 300 Dorco ST301, that don't have numbers, BUT, at least they are pretty. Ugly AND without numbers? I could never stand this. :confused:

It's not just a blade. It's my *main* blade and the no1 blade used in Italy. It's the first blade i got complete BBS with. It's like your first love. You always remember it! :D
Well, I'm waiting for two packs to arrive. It'll be interesting to see which ones I get. To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Well, I'm waiting for two packs to arrive. It'll be interesting to see which ones I get. To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

If you get them from Amazon, you will most likely get the new ones. From a search i made, it appears that the switch in production occured at about March-April 2017. All of my 12 "bricks" are manufactured in Jan-Feb 2017 and are old type... And i didn't get them from Amazon, which is why they still had old stock.

Got a new load of Astra from Gifts And Care yesterday. They, too, have the printing on one side and the other is blank.

My theory is all this has something to do with the sanctions the US imposed on Russia for diddling with the last year's election. Congress 's sanctions were designed to cripple the Russian economy by targeting the banking and oil interests. Donald's idea to bring the Russia economy to it's knees, however, was to punish the powerful razor blade juggernaut by limiting printing to only one side of the blade. The blank side would make shavers so miserable they would revert back to buying Gillette Fusion cartridges, thus screwing the Ruskies on the one hand and making America Great Again on the other. The man didn't write The Art of the Deal for nothing.

I don't know, I could be way off base on this one.

Last edited:
Got a new load of Astra from Gifts And Care yesterday. They, too, have the printing on one side and the other is blank.

My theory is all this has something to do with the sanctions the US imposed on Russia for diddling with the last year's election. Congress 's sanctions were designed to cripple the Russian economy by targeting the banking and oil interest. Donald's idea to bring Russia economy to it's knees, however, was to punish the powerful razor blade juggernaut by limiting printing to only one side of the blade. The blank side would make shaver so miserable they would revert back to buying Gillette Fusion cartridges, thus screwing the Ruskies on the one hand and making America Great Again on the other. The man didn't write The Art of the Deal for nothing.

I don't know, I could be way off base on this one.

Bill, you're reading wayyyyyyyyyy too much into this.

I didn't know so many people care about what a blade looks like. Are they stopping after every stroke and removing the blade to admire it? :rolleyes:

1HXMUFW.jpg

Bill, you're reading wayyyyyyyyyy too much into this.

I didn't know so many people care about what a blade looks like. Are they stopping after every stroke and removing the blade to admire it? :rolleyes:

1HXMUFW.jpg

As we say in Italy, "The eye wants its share too!". :cool: I rotate blades and after each shave i rinse the blade and put it back in its wrapper, so of course i care about what it looks! The new Astra seem like someone counterfeited them and he was too cheap to put anything on 1 side. :confused:

I have a shave buddy who loves the Astra SS as he says they are sharper than the SP. I agree, but they lose a little smoothness as a result IMO.

I have been comparing an Astra Superior Stainless (blue & white box) against the Astra Superior Platinum even more as of late & I have to admit that the Stainless is IMO a better all 'round blade. I agree with this guy's summaries:

https://www.refinedshave.com/astra-superior-platinum-razor-blade-review/

https://www.refinedshave.com/astra-superior-stainless-razor-blade-review/

Just got through a tuck of Astra SP, had really high expectations but didn't seem to get on with them, shame really. Not sure how much technique has to do with it but changed on to Shark SS which were very smooth and forgiving.

Perhaps the Astra SS may suit my skin type better than SP if I ever get round to trying them.

I echo Bogeyman's sentiments above, until last week I had only tried the SP's and found them bang average, I tried the SS and they impressed me very much. When my stash of blades decreases I will certainly be adding a 100 Astra SS baldes to it

Back
Top Bottom