ASR Double Edge Razor Weights

Let's have a geek out with the ASR double edge razors, looking at the weights and measures of the various examples that we have ...

ModelManufactureCap (g)Baseplate (g)Handle (g)Notes
TreetAmerican9937 Hex - Steel?
StarAmerican9937 Hex - Steel?
Personna (Gold Wash/ed Off)British15 Brass911 BakelitePAL Contract-style Case
Personna (Stamped)British11952 Heavyweight Steel?
PersonnaBritish11913 Thicker Aluminium
Star (Gold Wash)American9913 Thicker Aluminium (Gold Wash)Bakelite Slide Case
PAL (Etched)British132 Aluminium10 Thinner Aluminium
PAL (Etched) TravellerBritish132 Aluminium5 Thinner Aluminium (Short)
Star (Etched)British13940 Steel? < same thickness as Thicker Personna/StarBlue/Clear Case

IMG_2862.jpg

Observations ...

The baseplates are of a consistent weight across British and American examples and all the models that I have. Zamak heads apart from the one (early?) Personna with a brass head which is considerably heavier than the rest of the gang.

Interesting to see that the later British examples with the cheap aluminium baseplates have slightly heavier heads than their American counterparts. I've listed the gold-washed American Star a little later and grouped it with the later PALs because I think it is from that era.

Handles have two thicknesses for the heavily knurled examples. Both British and American have the thicker type (see American Star (Gold), British Personna & British Star (Etched) examples). The thinner handles are on the later British PALs with aluminium baseplates.

I have two with handles that I have not seen on other ASR double edge razors. That said, I've not seen them on any other razor across well over a thousand that I've had through my hands. Custom handles is a modern day obsession. I am inclined to believe they are intentional.

What I think is the most modern is on the right hand side and end of the list. It is a British Embassy Set presented in a Gillette-style flip-up case with an etched head and heavy steel(?) handle. It is a classy razor!

AL9nZEUsp6LSIEjrOQiuTb7H8THaHlOjLOCf8EdElzBloMqMsA-kMMyRpPDICak7ivovcuRQgRFZJGqSwRrsL-W7MY-IEpUUccrTpei03GABQvNAqAXAMGVPGX2x85HoSf4xZuBfBxupB87MEknR858yc_Ni0Q=s800

AL9nZEXX0TK6sHj3YmnWANtFxxpyYTZScMPqNapY3ou7wL_NrD41iD_xSRGCb1WZoYK2N22CTH1f486Ge35Bg-hg4dwJB21o3vO7Hw6Zaujz-NMrDH-Ff8mdltVuZ4PXS5mbV3Ni-xDL6VFRsrcVX1_eFncP0w=s800

What examples do you have? If you are able to weigh them, perfect!

Last edited:
I have two or three Star DE razors, but no way to weigh them nowadays. I like the Gillette Tech better. The Star razors are a bit more aggressive IMO.

Last edited:
I have two or three Star DE razors, but no way to weight them nowadays. I like the Gillette Tech better. The Star razors are a bit more aggressive IMO.
That is curious ... (not to be argumentative) I find it completely the other way around. To me, these ASR razors seem hyper-mild as there is very little gap and the exposure is so explicitly clamped that it can feel as if it won't actually shave. It does, though and it does seem to get very close with the first pass which is perhaps what you mean. I mentioned in SOTD that in use my approach to the Gillette Old Type is bearing fruit with these razors, certainly following if not riding the cap.

Deliberately making a run through these razors, there is some variance ... just as there is with the mighty Tech. So far, my favourite has been the stamped head Personna with the heavyweight handle which puts me most in mind with the 1950s Gillette Tech. The (earlier?) Star/Treet variants feel more like Contract Techs and the lightweight handle variants like the 1960s Techs.

I've never shaved with that late *STAR* variant, but in the hand it feels like it might be the Streamline of the range.

... maybe I should try the *STAR* with one of those Hollow Ground blades in the case blade store? :unsure:

Without even opening open, I can hear a crustiness through the paper. But, underneath the blade store is a Guarantee:

AL9nZEXPk_PU3IogXQSfBJ4sqX-d9BU42hSoCc2OzuswALIIrGKpZyoFWZS2D_BTx2LwFqfO_pHESTxbL4DihH8Bz2aNPDucCzdayrjvmC4T1kd7WqOn2uyK4TYbQO3WdQ28v8_bAfaBGVDM820anaFGkx_PAg=w800

I like "shave lightly for the first few shaves" which shows the lifespan of vintage blades, expected to run for a number of shaves and potentially more with some stropping. Quite the counterpoint to three and done today.

Last edited:
That is curious ... (not to be argumentative) I find it completely the other way around. To me, these ASR razors seem hyper-mild as there is very little gap and the exposure is so explicitly clamped that it can feel as if it won't actually shave. It does, though and it does seem to get very close with the first pass which is perhaps what you mean. I mentioned in SOTD that in use my approach to the Gillette Old Type is bearing fruit with these razors, certainly following if not riding the cap.

Deliberately making a run through these razors, there is some variance ... just as there is with the mighty Tech. So far, my favourite has been the stamped head Personna with the heavyweight handle which puts me most in mind with the 1950s Gillette Tech. The (earlier?) Star/Treet variants feel more like Contract Techs and the lightweight handle variants like the 1960s Techs.

I've never shaved with that late *STAR* variant, but in the hand it feels like it might be the Streamline of the range.

I picked up a Personna Star which I have used for a few shaves, mine seems quite mild for the few shaves I have used it for so far, but I think I will focus on using it for a while to gather a better impression of it.

I picked up a Personna Star which I have used for a few shaves, mine seems quite mild for the few shaves I have used it for so far, but I think I will focus on using it for a while to gather a better impression of it.

Absolutely, yes ... mild feeling is something I think most folks will associate with this razor. Very capable, though.

I've since got this minty American Treet which has the heavyweight handle like the Star Embassy Set:

AP1GczOGZXoYQJJkEVQbEBkG5ypW5vg-H_ZZd_3r2QwL4cmNidxp-m4FJBXCq0WFQ9X-KVTQLzEwCYjG6fJZEvPQavklOqrntc-6DE3HxwuubKYXQekZd9geGF3yzH6XzCIwu-_U5Th2rmNIIRhnfeSKcyjccg=w1200

Shame there was no period ASR blades. It came with a couple of modern Pakistani Treets and I've popped a full box of Black Beauties in. I still find it curious that the logo is the same.

I've since got this minty American Treet which has the heavyweight handle like the Star Embassy Set:

AP1GczOGZXoYQJJkEVQbEBkG5ypW5vg-H_ZZd_3r2QwL4cmNidxp-m4FJBXCq0WFQ9X-KVTQLzEwCYjG6fJZEvPQavklOqrntc-6DE3HxwuubKYXQekZd9geGF3yzH6XzCIwu-_U5Th2rmNIIRhnfeSKcyjccg=w1200

Shame there was no period ASR blades. It came with a couple of modern Pakistani Treets and I've popped a full box of Black Beauties in. I still find it curious that the logo is the same.

My gold one, no case, just the razor.

100_2177.JPG

Back
Top Bottom