ASCO Super Stainless (Orange)

OK I tried this blade out for the first time tonight. I received some in a PIF from Urban Hermit (thanks).

Well this blade is from the Lord stable made in their plant in Egypt. the packaging is nice with it's pyramids on the front and it's a typical "double wrapped blade in a cardboard 5 pack" affair. No surprises or issues there.

The shave itself is really quite a smooth experience (used in a 34C) but maybe it was a bit too smooth. There was no tugging or pulling on hairs so it was sharp enough there but after a 3 pass shave there are still areas not as smooth as I'd been getting with Shark Super Stainless.

So the overview of this blade is that it is smooth, very forgiving and I'd say sharp enough for everyday use.

At this moment in time I'd rate it better in performance than a Red Personna but not as good as a Shark blade.

I've tried these and agree with the OP. A good blade but I prefer the Sharks as they're even smoother for me and give a closer shave. Certainly a good blade and worth trying but maybe not quite sharp enough as it was patchy for me.

I have some sharks on the way and cant offer a comparison at the moment. However for me, I have found them really smooth and very forgiving. But, in contrast to the OP, they have given me a very close shave with no burn or niks.

Still working my way through lots of blades, but for me, this could be "the one".... watch this space, still lots more blades to try... :D

Chances are you will like them jonboy. I find them one of the best blades (in my top ten) when you take into account bulk price as they are smooth yet sharp. I won't get 4 shaved from them though, unlike much price Gillettes

I read somewhere recently that Asco,Shark, Big Ben, and a few others which brands slip my mind, are all made in the Lord factory...can anyone confirm this?

The guys that like them, what type of stubble is the blade tackling? I jfave a fairly thick beard with coarse hair. So interested to know what the blade is dealing with.

Quite a few are from the Lord family, i've just got a sampler pack and had a quick look. All Egypt but some say Port Said whilst the majority say Alex. (assume Alexandria) so not sure if they have more than one factory.

whiterosegent said:
I read somewhere recently that Asco,Shark, Big Ben, and a few others which brands slip my mind, are all made in the Lord factory...can anyone confirm this?

Yes you're right. Lord make Shark, Asco, Big Ben, Crown, Silver Star and Racer, maybe a couple more. All of them come in just 1 flavour with the exception of Lord which come in about 4 or 5 different flavours and shark which come in 2.
All made at the Alexandria factory, as guessed above by Jon. I think many still say Port Said but that might be a printing hangover (or new old stock) as far as I'm aware Lord moved all manufacturing to Alex a couple of years ago, it's a huge operation there.

andyjreid said:
OK I tried this blade out for the first time tonight. I received some in a PIF from Urban Hermit (thanks).

Well this blade is from the Lord stable made in their plant in Egypt. the packaging is nice with it's pyramids on the front and it's a typical "double wrapped blade in a cardboard 5 pack" affair. No surprises or issues there.

The shave itself is really quite a smooth experience (used in a 34C) but maybe it was a bit too smooth. There was no tugging or pulling on hairs so it was sharp enough there but after a 3 pass shave there are still areas not as smooth as I'd been getting with Shark Super Stainless.

So the overview of this blade is that it is smooth, very forgiving and I'd say sharp enough for everyday use.

At this moment in time I'd rate it better in performance than a Red Personna but not as good as a Shark blade.

What a coincidance, I used one of these blades for the first time this morning. And I agree whole heartedly with the above comments :D

Garbe said:
The guys that like them, what type of stubble is the blade tackling? I jfave a fairly thick beard with coarse hair. So interested to know what the blade is dealing with.
Wiry hair in my case. Cannot get a BBS shave under my jawline. But these were pretty good.

NotTheStig said:
Garbe said:
Wiry hair in my case. Cannot get a BBS shave under my jawline. But these were pretty good.

Thanks for the reply, I guess these won't work for me.

Canuck said:
whiterosegent said:

Yes you're right. Lord make Shark, Asco, Big Ben, Crown, Silver Star and Racer, maybe a couple more. All of them come in just 1 flavour with the exception of Lord which come in about 4 or 5 different flavours and shark which come in 2.
All made at the Alexandria factory, as guessed above by Jon. I think many still say Port Said but that might be a printing hangover (or new old stock) as far as I'm aware Lord moved all manufacturing to Alex a couple of years ago, it's a huge operation there.

Just double checked all the packs from my sampler pack (apart from Shark Chrome as in a plastic pack) and all the Lord branded ones say Alex. and all the non Lord i.e. Big Ben etc say Port Said.

Back
Top Bottom