Are Vintage GEM SE Razors falling-out of favour.

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
I think that perhaps the love affair with Vintage Gem /SE Razors is on the wane. I like many others went overboard after I switched from DE Razors. In fact my best Shaves were delivered by the likes of am ER 1914/1924.
Like many others I somehow succumbed to the attraction of trying out AC/SE Razors, and tend to use them more than my Vintage ones.
Do others think that The " Oldies " are less popular these days.

Waves and phases ...

When I came to traditional shaving a decade ago, Wilkinson Sword Stickies were all the rage (get one for little more than a tenner now), vintage Gillette was a sound currency and I rather got the feeling that Gemer-Readies were on the ascendance. Yeah, I think the pendulum will swing back.

... and as @TobyC says the market is still very much there. The buyers are in the US - perhaps "we" are a tad more isolated globally than we were a decade ago, but again, that's working itself out.

Personally, from near daily 1912 shaving I've gone through phases. Probably next year I'll be off the DEs and back on the flip-tops.

I still love my 1912s and Micromatics and similar razors. I don't care if they fall out of favour with other people.
Since postage from the US has gone through the roof, buying most vintage GEM razors has become unattractive.
1912s are still the exception as they can be had from the UK for peanuts, but I don't need any more.
I'm down to my last 190 or so GEM blades and anxiety kicks in. It is time to restock perhaps.
AC razors have no soul, although occasionally I use an AC Kamisori-style razor.

Back
Top Bottom