Are there any UK based blade manufacturers left?

As you may have seen in my introduction, I am new to DE shaving. I currently have a Chinese Frank Shaving DE that I get on perfectly well with but will no doubt eventually end up opting for a n Edwin Jagger DE. Since Edwin Jagger are British, I have some romantic notion that I want to use British blades (and maybe when I have some spare money a British brush).

So are there any British blade manufacturers still going?

I don't think there are any British blades made any more, but other more aware people will I'm sure let you know.

As for a British Made brush, that's not too expensive, although the Badger knot won't be British as Badgers are a protected species in the UK. Have a look at Fidos brushes for a British made brush, they are a very good quality for a reasonable price.

No British made blades but no matter, you can go British made or at least "British Company" with everything else:
Simpsons, Rooney, New Forest, Kent, Rod Neep, Edwin Jagger for your brushes.
Truefitt and Hill, Taylors of Old Bond Street, Geo F Trumpers, DR Harris, Penhaligons, Floris, Mitchells, Kent etc for all your smellies and soaps.
Jagger and (vintage) Gillette models for razors. (many Gillette models were made in Isleworth up until the 1970's and are "Made in England" stamped).

Or you can embrace the global concept and celebrate it. Someone did a thread on it a while back, it's quite cool to think that some of the best kit you an use comes from some odd countries, the picture is far from being as boring as "made in China". Think of the permutations you can have:

Razors from England, USA, Germany, Sweden, India, Russia, Japan, France etc.
Soaps from England, France, India, Germany, Turkey, Spain, Italy, Portugal, USA etc.
Blades from Russia, Egypt, Turkey, Japan, India, Poland, Italy, Germany and China etc.
Colognes from everywhere! (See what obscure ones you can find).

Oof, I wasn't going to mention it, Hunny. Seeing how I wasn't around when that particular situation unfolded. If you can get a hold of aome New Old Stock English Wilkinson Sword blades then they are excellent.

Depends on how purist you really want to go though, I can't say I've heard of anyone on this forum ever going for a wholly UK shave. It's really, really hard to do if you're being strict, your Chinese knots bugger up the brush for a start and then you can point out that your British Edwin Jagger has only been assembled and packaged in the UK, with all design and manufacturer at the Muhle plant in Germany.
I think it can be done, but you're going to have to go largely vintage I reckon.

Canuck said:
Depends on how purist you really want to go though, I can't say I've heard of anyone on this forum ever going for a wholly UK shave. It's really, really hard to do if you're being strict, your Chinese knots bugger up the brush for a start and then you can point out that your British Edwin Jagger has only been assembled and packaged in the UK, with all design and manufacturer at the Muhle plant in Germany.
I think it can be done, but you're going to have to go largely vintage I reckon.

Aye up, chief. Read the link here where Neil Jagger categorically states that Edwin Jagger razors aren't made by Muhle but made by EJ on their own tooling under their own quality control. The design itself was a joint effort.

I've just done a quick search, and Midland Tool and Design make double razor edge blade tooling equipment, but whether they make blades I don't know. There are a few industrial razor blade manufactures around.

The Wilkinson Sword factory was just up the road from me in Northumberland but sadly it closed in 2000. Apparently Wilkinsons still made swords in the UK until the mid 2000s!

hunnymonster said:
Paging " the Surrey Jeweller" :angel:

Ah Jewellgate, I remember it well. They promised so much........Sheffield Steel, Extra Smooth shave and Made in England.

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

I keep just one as a fond reminder of the good old days.....:angel:

Re: RE: Are there any UK based blade manufacturers left?

Twist To Open said:
The Wilkinson Sword factory was just up the road from me in Northumberland but sadly it closed in 2000. Apparently Wilkinsons still made swords in the UK until the mid 2000s!

No they didn't, Cramlington was the one and only UK Wilkinson factory. Once that closed all European production was moved to Germany.

I have 95 "Made in Britain" Perma Sharps made in Kilbride, Scotland in the 1960's......

They don't suit my sensitive face but then neither do the much loved Polsilver Super Iridiums....

Back
Top Bottom