Are Pure Badgers really that bad?

Here we are again, David (the 20mm pure badger on the right) vs Goliath (23mm Best badger on the left):

image.jpg

Today, David, surprised me once more. I decided to facelather with Nivea Sensitive cream. Looking at the brush, i thought "this little fella, won't be able to carry enough lather for 4 passes". So instead of using my normal amount of cream, i used less, thinking "i will have to reapply cream anyway at the end of the 2nd or 3rd pass".

Well, this little guy, is the little pure badger that could. I finished 4 passes without adding new cream. Basically, with using LESS cream than my normal amount (which is about 2cm long). Not only that, but contrary to Goliath, it gave a pleasant massage while lathering, without becoming a mop. I felt a little the scratchy tips at the outer edges, but once you splay it, it's not bothering much.

Still waiting my Yaqi best badger, but, this little guy convinced me that i don't need to spend more money on more costly badgers. A good pure badger with backbone is fine for me. The EJ best badger on the other side, i will just use it strictly in bowl lathering creams.

I can't think of a better way of showing this.

Backbone test Yaqi best vs EJ best (or maybe it should be renamed into floppiest)

Edwin_KO.jpg

Winner: Yaqi by Fatality! The EJ is flattened up to the base of the knot.

Things i noticed about the Yaqi just by using it wet on my palm:
1) Absolute absence of any animal smell. None.
2) Once wet, barely bends (EJ bends under its own weight and the whole loft moves right or left according to how you fling it around).
3) Hair seems thicker.
4) Bends only slightly once soaked.
5) Not quite the backbone of a boar, but let's say of a baby boar. Certainly a workable brush.

This said, i am impressed by plissoft and if the tuxedo has more backbone, it may be the ultimate badger killer for me.

Shaved with the Yaqi best badger this morning. This is with the brush in "bloom" conditions after the first bath:

image.png

image.png

The knot is described as 22x63mm. In reality it's 24x52mm. Lucky me, right? :D And i find the size PERFECT. Also my experience with badgers is very limited, but i think it's reasonably dense knot. The hair, seems thicker and stiffer compared to EJ Best, but the tips are quite soft. EJ hair seems to bend much easier. Most importantly, the backbone is adeguate. It doesn't match my Omega boar backbone, but it's there... The brush didn't splay 180 degrees on the face. Another peculiar thing is that the hair is very shiny at the dark brown part. Like "this is a freshly killed badger!" :eek: :p I 'd say, the EJ seems like a "city badger", while the Yaqi is a ragged, mountain badger. :D:p EJ tries more to be the "pillowy soft" badger. This one is a badger that gives a mild massage. I like it.

I like it so much, that i think i will order a 2nd for spare. This and the pure badger, will remain in the normal rotation. The EJ will be in a loose rotation only, every once in a while.

After my chinese order debacle, where i am pretty sure my 1st order with Yaqi Best badger + plissoft is stolen at the post office, i am seriously considering to order another EJ Pure Badger + EJ best badger , so that i will have 1 spare from each. I can find them right now at bargain prices, very similar to what cost me to order a brush from China. This might not last forever, so maybe it's prudent to stock up and be done with brushes.

You sure buy a lot of “spare” stuff.

You sure buy a lot of “spare” stuff.

When you start, you get caught in an addictive "trying spree", thinking that everything will be so much different so "i have to try this and that and that". Some months later, i seek what works well and keep with that. What works well, i can buy it in many spares. Why not... It's not like they expire tomorrow. In Italy, the lowest of the low 21mm Omega best badger, is at 50 EUR and most say it's super floppy. The Yaqi is 24mm ,costs 20 EUR shipped from China, tracked. If it wasn't for the customs, i could even order 2 spares at once. What you find today, you may not find tomorrow. For instance, the Yaqi rep, told me that some of their brushes, without specifying which, will not be available for retail sales, once they sell out their current stocks and that they will sell only their own designs to retail customers. I imagine this will affect their handles, but even so.

I have enough blades for the rest of my life. Why not... It's not like i have to keep them in the fridge and i don't believe that wetshaving will become more popular and suddenly everyone will be selling blades dirt cheap. 1 spare badger is nothing. I have like 7-8 spare identical boars. I will use some, together with some blades as lure to new wetshavers. Easy newbie kit. The rest, suit me fine, why not stick with them. I like a bit of variety. When i find models i like, i stick to them. And the best way to stay happy without fearing reformulations, availability, etc, is having identical spares. The EJ best badger, was an unfortunate purchase, that can happen when you buy based on Amazon reviews, because one man's backbone, is another man's floppy... Spare Yaqis would not be blind purchases.

I have settled with 2 razor types, two boar types and many blades. Badger will be the same as boars.

This morning I ordered a shavemac pure badger set in a Ruberset 200-2 handle from Brad Sears. Pure badger is the Rodney Dangerfield of brush knots, but I regard it as one of the wet shaving world's best kept secrets along with shavemac finest badger.
I received my Brad Sears Rubberset 200-style brush stuffed with a shavemac pure badger knot just before Christmas. I've used it four times now and I have to say that it is an outstanding brush. Aesthetically and ergonomically the brush is excellent. The handle is well balanced and very comfortable and makes for a very pleasant experience when face lathering. The knot is very much to my liking: it is soft, with medium backbone and good flow through; moreover, only when I lather in a circular motion do I feel the slightest hint of prickle, but I have to seek it out. This just confirms my earlier assertion that pure badger is greatly under appreciated and over looked for the most part

Back
Top Bottom