Apprehensive DE newbie

After 15 odd years of very lazy shaving with an electric shaver (I know, I know), I have decided that I should really do things properly and learn to wet shave. Having read a few articles and comments here and there, I thought I might go straight into DE shaving as opposed the Boots supplied Gillette Proglide or the like.

Is this too ambitious?!

My hit list is as follows...

Merkur Futur or HD34 (any suggestions on which might be more forgiving for a novice?!?)
Jagger Silver Tip Badger Brush (is bigger better?!?)
T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream
Trumpers Violet Soft Cream

Any thoughts, guidance or advice would be much appreciated...!

Cheers

Welcome to TSR! :D You are not being too ambitious at all. I would suggest passing on the Futur as your first razor though. Some get on fine but it is quite unusual as razors go. The HD34 or Edwin Jagger DE89 are both good razors. Have you seen the sticky threads in the Help section yet?

Hello and welcome to TSR BigD(addy)! :D

Well if you´re a big daddy you need a big brush :lol: Seriuosly, no, it´s actually easier to have a 21-22 mm knot, I think. You get more controll (don´t get lathery all over, whitch I´m sure some people wouldn´t mind though, PC!?) and you don´t spend as much soap/cream. A big brush can give a very luxury feel, but for preformances I would say no. More important than size, is what brand you pick, I think a New Forest or Simpson brush would serve you better than an EJ (I only have had one EJ though) and if you pick a New Forest you most likely get away with a lower price + a better brush :D

Welcome to TSR BigD. As a relative newbie myself to the fantastic world of DE shaving I can't really comment of your choice of kit, but as Pig Cat says, the Edwin Jagger DE89 seems to be one of the razors of choice for the new starter, and they are available for about 16 quid on an amazin' online retail outlet

A number of things have really helped me as a DE novice :-

Reading this forum and not being afraid to ask questions of the members here - there are some very knowledgeable people on this board who are all willing to pass on any hints and tips and answer any questions you may have.

Secondly, go to youtube and search for Mantic59, watch his tutorial videos, they are really really good and extremely helpful.

Thirdly, clear out a nice big shelf in your bathroom, cos in a couple of months you will have creams, soaps, bowls and razors galore :)

Other than that, all I can say is welcome to a new obsession.

/Jon

Mikaels right, I have a pretty big Edwin Jagger brush, it's nice enough but it hogs quite a bit of product and strangely my little travel brush is more efficient, so size isn't everything. They can feel quite luxurious but they're not as precise.

The Merkur 34C HD was my first DE razor and it's still my joint favourite, I think it's a fine choice. Better than a futur for a beginner, certainly. PigCat's suggestion of an Edwin Jagger is also a good one and they are super value just now on Amazon.

No problem going electric straight to DE in my view, you have no bad habits to unlearn and you start with a clean slate.

Nice choices on the creams, I'm a fan of T+H Lavender cream and Taylors of Bond Street Lavender cream personally, but all the London shops make good shaving soaps and creams. T+H do a sampler pack, and I think one of the other shops does too... Trumpers IIRC.

Welcome!

I know it's been said before many times, but whatever you do buy stick with it for a few weeks before making any changes, and then one thing at a time. This way you get used to shaving and when you change one factor you can see if things improve or not. :D Hopefully by making gradual small changes you will reach Shaving Nirvana, something that only three TSR members have ever achieved. :eek:

and a blade sample pack from Connaught shaving.

It's been said before but bigger isn't necessarily better in the brush department and most products work very well indeed so I'm sure those choices will be fine. If you've been using a rotary electric these past years they reallyy chew up your stubble and get it growing in all sorts of directions, it'll take time for you and your beard to adapt.

Good morning & welcome.

Regards Futur v HD34, the 34 wins hands down, although the EJ DE89 / Muhle R89 get honorable mentions particularly in the price department at the mo.

Blade sampler is an absolute must as Antdad mentioned, whether this be through Connaught Shaving or beg, borrowed and BST'd.

The brush? my first badger and one I still use and love to bits was a EJ BB in small. There are lots and lots of makes, models, sizes and suppliers which is a pain in the arse particularly when everyone will give different / conflicting advice.

So I would say bung a tenner on a Vulfix 404 mix from DiamondEdge shaving - it's a right of passage thing which will give you solid service while you hone your technique and let you do some research.

Soaps and creams are down to personal scent choices as long you stick to one of the popular, well reviewed makers.

Finally, get yourself down on that there Youtube and soak up the words of wisdom from Mantic59

Welcome BigD!

You'll find lots of advice here (that's free!) ..and help on how to spend your money ;)

I've only been here for one month, having spent years wet shaving with cartridge razors. If I had my time again, I would have gone straight to DE shaving, so agree that you have no bad habits to unlearn.

Good advice already given about sample pack of razors, Mantic vids and brushes - so enjoy the experience going forward! Oh, and don't be wary of asking any question, you'll get plenty of help!

Paul

If you are feeling apprehensive get the feel of the razor 1st without a blade in it. Having never used a cartridge you may find it feels a little alien but on the plus side you haven't learned bad habits!

Hi & very welcome BigD. For a 1st razor which will travel a long way down the years & the shaving road with you I'm another R89 fan. The Futurs are gr8 razors for those who like them, however it's not a razor I'd recommend as a starter .......... although I know some have & got on ok with them. Whatever you settle with, have a shedload of fun & don't take it all too seriously. Only difference between a good shave and an indifferent one is about 48 hours.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Hi BigD. Welcome.

If, like me, you make the Futur your first razor and learn on that, then you may (like me) be spoiled for all other razors.

The learning curve is steeper, but once mastered you will have a razor for life.

I had an HD after using the Futur for a couple of years and recently sold it on. Just wasn't for me. But hey! YMMV!

Welcome to the forum BigD, here's to many great shaves.

If you do decide to go for the Merkur Futur razor don't be tempted to open it up too soon, it's a lovely razor and mine is the first one I reach for when shaving.

As for the brush I went for a large Edwin Jagger silver tip badger brush and wished I had gone for the next size down.

Back
Top Bottom