Anyone keep hens?

Yep got some hens here too.
we have 3 wrens that we were given last summer only one lays but cant bring myself to cook the other 2, they are all called 1 of 3 cos we still cant tell the difference between them (also the reason we cant cook the other 2 non layers)
we also have a White sussex, about 22 weeks old and lay's a nice light coloured eggs (lighter than the wrens) shes been named snow white, and finally we have a BlueBell called Bell (got to love kids havent you) she started laying just over a week ago, if you want a 3 egg omlette you need about 9 eggs as they are pretty small.

had no problems with foxes but with all the farms round here they proberly have easier pickings else where.

PC keep your shells, I bake them (small tray and bung them in the oven with something else) brake them into very small bits so they cannot be recognised as eggs and stick them in a dish for the chooks to eat, I also give them grit which has oyster chells in it, they need the extra calcium for the egg shells and the grit helps them digest food like corn (bit like a cow I think - the grit grinds the food in the tummy)

they are all more like family than egg makers, if we leave the back door open and they are out we can go into the dining room and there will be a chicken perched on the back of a dinning chair asleep - have just sorted out a temp fence that we pull across the garden if they are out

if anyone is actually interested and not asleep already

here is bluebell.
random25311059.jpg

one of the 1 of 3
random25311061.jpg

and finally Snowwhite and Marley, whom seems to get beaten up by all the chooks, but does grass them up when they sneak next door to steal the cat food
random25311161.jpg

Should'nt feed them Grit to help harden the shells, I remember years ago seeing an egg with no shell, my mates hen laid it and i'm sure he used to give them grit, might be wrong. The first egg that a chicken lays is usually a double yolker. :hungrig

RideTheBlade said:
Should'nt feed them Grit to help harden the shells, I remember years ago seeing an egg with no shell, my mates hen laid it and i'm sure he used to give them grit, might be wrong. The first egg that a chicken lays is usually a double yolker. :hungrig

no double yokers YET

we give a mix of grit, egg shell and oyster shell to give them a mix of all 3 :D

Nice post Alan. I'm actually not sure there is a calcium problem as there were six normal eggs from six chickens plus the odd-ball. My feeling is that one of the hens laid an egg prematurely before the shell had formed.If this is true I'd expect to see five eggs laid tomorrow. I do like the idea of using the shells again. At the moment they go in the compost.

RideTheBlade said:
PigCat you will have to go to the Suffolk Show in June to get some idea's

Yes, haven't been for years though as the admission charge is getting ridiculous. Will try this year as Mrs PC will probably be there anyway in the NHS dental tent!

As Evaa said, hens don't have teeth so they need grit to break down food in their gullet. I've also found that if they are out and about they pick up grit on their own accord but that has nothing to do with soft shell and I've had plenty of adolescent hens who's first egg has been a single yolker, doubles are pretty rare. If a chicken could lay a premature egg (and it can't) it would die. Your egg is fully formed but it hasn't received the final calcium top coat which may be a singular event but if it continues it is more than likely to be dietry. Who knows why, could be a number of reasons but don't rule it out as it is the most common cause despite your other hens laying perfectly well.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.omlet.co.uk/index.php/Soft_Shelled_Eggs">http://wiki.omlet.co.uk/index.php/Soft_Shelled_Eggs</a><!-- m -->

But can I eat it? Looks like I can just pierce the membrane to release it in to a pan. It's currently in the fridge, not where I normally store eggs but just in case. I would rather not waste it that's all.

I'll keep tabs on the hens' diet and see if this was a one off. If it continues I'll say "an oeuf is an oeuf" and do something about it. :shock: ;)

Pig Cat said:
But can I eat it?
Yep, snip it open with a pair of scissors like your old ball bag. :lol:

You might as well add egg shell to their diet considering they are being composted. There is also a pecking order to consider as well as loss of condition when they are moulting, these could be contributory factors to keep an eye on if it continues.

And There's More :ugeek:

Soft-shelled eggs

The first pullet egg may be soft-shelled until her system gets into its stride. If it continues, make sure that the birds are getting a balanced diet such as that provided by a commercial free-range or organic layer’s ration. Such feeds will usually contain calcium and phosphorus in the right ratio (around 3.5-4% calcium to 0.3% phosphorus). Providing a little crushed oyster-shell or calcified seaweed will ensure that any deficiency is rectified, for the birds will not take more than they require.

A shock can also make a hen lay a soft-shelled egg. My own observations are that if a flock is caught in a sudden shower of rain (for they are sometimes too dim to run for shelter), a few soft-shelled eggs are often produced the next day, but by the following day, they’re back to normal.

It is when soft-shelled eggs or misshapen ones are produced regularly that there need be a cause for concern. Veterinary advice should be sought. Conditions that adversely affect eggs include Newcastle disease (a notifiable disease to the authorities) and Infectious bronchitis, but there would be disease symptoms showing in the birds themselves if either of these was present. Hybrids are normally vaccinated against them.

Egg drop syndrome (EDS) is also a viral infection that results in a reduced number of eggs, as well as an increased number of pale-shelled eggs. Birds do recover from it but egg production may not get back to its previous level and there may still be a proportion of deformed ones produced. It can be vaccinated against.

what a site

All set up for shaving but it also gives you an insight into Addicitions, Acquisitions, Chemistry, Trading, photography and now Chooks, what more can a guy need (except a mistress) :D

Evvaa said:
All set up for shaving but it also gives you an insight into Addicitions, Acquisitions, Chemistry, Trading, photography and now Chooks, what more can a guy need (except a mistress) :D

TSR is my mistress :roll: :oops:

Evvaa said:
what a site

Does anyone keep Pigs ?? :D :D

RideTheBlade said:
And There's More :ugeek:

Soft-shelled eggs

The first pullet egg may be soft-shelled until her system gets into its stride. If it continues, make sure that the birds are getting a balanced diet such as that provided by a commercial free-range or organic layer’s ration. Such feeds will usually contain calcium and phosphorus in the right ratio (around 3.5-4% calcium to 0.3% phosphorus). Providing a little crushed oyster-shell or calcified seaweed will ensure that any deficiency is rectified, for the birds will not take more than they require.

A shock can also make a hen lay a soft-shelled egg. My own observations are that if a flock is caught in a sudden shower of rain (for they are sometimes too dim to run for shelter), a few soft-shelled eggs are often produced the next day, but by the following day, they’re back to normal.

It is when soft-shelled eggs or misshapen ones are produced regularly that there need be a cause for concern. Veterinary advice should be sought. Conditions that adversely affect eggs include Newcastle disease (a notifiable disease to the authorities) and Infectious bronchitis, but there would be disease symptoms showing in the birds themselves if either of these was present. Hybrids are normally vaccinated against them.

Egg drop syndrome (EDS) is also a viral infection that results in a reduced number of eggs, as well as an increased number of pale-shelled eggs. Birds do recover from it but egg production may not get back to its previous level and there may still be a proportion of deformed ones produced. It can be vaccinated against.

Did you actually read this before cutting and pasting it or are they really your own observations? This is clearly aimed at commercial egg and meat producers with high stocking densities that use vaccine's not hobby holding's like mine, Evaa or PC's. I checked with DEFRA, there hasn't been an outbreak of Newcastle disease in the UK since 2005/6 and EDS mainly affects large egg producing operations. You're scaremongering with misinformation, please don't.

Back
Top Bottom