Anyone got a similar beard growth direction 'problem'

I have been DE razor shaving for around three months and I am basically happy with the experience and pleasure that it gives me. But now I think that, by frequenting boards such as this, I have a need to acquire more knowledge and information. The current shaving issue that is on my mind is the direction of growth of my beard. At first I thought that surely it would grow , (use of clock face to indicate growth direction) 12 to 6!!!! However I now believe that the direction of beard on left side of neck grows 2 to 8, and on the right side of neck 10 to 4.

This isn't really a problem as I can shave WTG accordingly. My problem area is the tip/just under tip of chin where beard growth seems to be in all directions! It's just an area the sise of an old sixpence....but it causes me problems. I can have a great shave..but the stubble that can be left on my chin can spoil the effect.

I have a similar issue on my neck, my beard grows in all sorts of different directions. In order to get a clean finish requires multiple passes in multiple directions.

Usually straight down, then straight up, then left to right and a right to left. That usually gets everything.

Occasionally a diagonal pass is required as well, but I try to avoid any more than 4 passes as it starts getting uncomfortable.

I have found though that a quite aggressive first pass can help the subsequent passes, so I often dial the razor up for the first pass.

Most of us have a similar patch or two. Mantic (Mark Herro) recommends an advanced technique called J-hooking which I have tried but am simply too clumsy to perform unless I want to slice my face to shreds. I tend to use blade buffing (a very short, very light chopping/buffing motion) from various directions to smooth-out the problem area.

My neck hair goes every which way too. By shaving wtg I catch plenty atg in the process and it always leads to ingrown hairs, which I have a real problem with.

I have a little "swirl" on my neck, just to the right of my Adam's Apple. I have to be careful with it.

Ian

I also have a circular swirl on my jawline, I use the same technique as Chris and I "buff" it a little from a couple of directions.

Everyone has a little awkward spot I think... if you watch any of Geofatboy's vids he has a very awkward "Kirk Douglas" style dent in his chin and he approaches it from a few angles to get it really smooth.

Just don't go too hard.

The right side just under my jaw line grows a complete different way to my left side, and finding the right angle isn't always that straight foward, even though i know what i'm up against it never gets any easier, the left sides a piece of cake, that's why i tend to shave every other day always found more growth makes for a better closer shave, also kinder to my skin.

Jamie.

I liken my under the chin beard growth to an arrow head. So I shave from the chin vertically down to the Adam's Apple, then at an angle from this shaven strip to the neck. This is actually with the grain.

Problem area for me too. Wee bit blade buffing with adjustable set at lowest setting sorts me out. Unfortunately took most of my life to work it out! That and shaving ATG on my neck gave me ingrowing hairs. Doh!

Back
Top Bottom