Anyone got a Now TV box?

On a similar subject, if you are with sky ring them and they will send you a free wireless connector which enhances your on demand service giving you I player etc through wifi on your tele

Al H said:
On a similar subject, if you are with sky ring them and they will send you a free wireless connector which enhances your on demand service giving you I player etc through wifi on your tele

I take it this is an add-on to make older boxes that do not have wifi capability do what newer ones with wifi already do?

Sky often confuse me by telling me they are going to enhance, improve, make better when they will do no such ting because I already have it and they are talking to folk with lesser kit, service, packages - but Sky don't say to whom they are speaking. In this instance, they are going to enhance my on demand experience. How? By doing what? And when I investigate, I already have it. They get me every time with freebie offers! Oops! Newbies only!

And just why can't I have another discount? Just because I'm already getting it half price! Poor excuse in my book!

Bit off topic but I've really enjoyed having Sky Go. I was able to use it while on holiday and more recently it's sat on the table in my Lymington coffee shop where we often have breakfast so I've been able to keep up with the cricket. I have a very understanding wife.

Now TV requires extra payments to make use of it with the TV. I'll stick to using my Apple devices for iPlayer and Sky Go.

Sky Now is a rebranded (and restricted) Roku 2 LT. It doesn't require a pre-existing Sky subscription and allows you to sign up for various packages (movies, entertainment) on a monthly basis, buy 24hr access to Sky Sports for £10 and also pay for individual movies on demand. You also get iPlayer, 4OD and Demand 5.

If you get the unrestricted Roku, you get the same stuff plus access to many more apps, including netflix which was the clincher for me. I paid £35 from Currys for mine, so still great value.

It is 720 rather than full HD, but picture quality is great if your internet connection is up to the job.

Personally, I can't recommend it highly enough - just be aware that it's not a "play all" media player; it supports a restricted set of codecs and doesn't support local network streaming. If you just want a cheap way to turn your TV into a "smart" set, it's fantastic. And for a fiver a month, Netflix is good value. I guess that Sky movies for £8 is good too (but I decided to choose just the one)

I forgot about Netflix and this is another good reason. I'm very rarely in front of a TV when programmes are on at scheduled times so if I got one of these I could save £100 a year as well and not bother with a licence.

MarkDifferential said:
I forgot about Netflix and this is another good reason. I'm very rarely in front of a TV when programmes are on at scheduled times so if I got one of these I could save £100 a year as well and not bother with a licence.

Just bear in mind that Sky don't let netflix run on the Now box - you need the unrestricted Roku for that.

I have a NOW TV box and the free Sky Wi-Fi connector. And a Smart TV. Crikey it's getting confusing out there, well it is for me, at any rate.

The hype for the free wi-fi connector is not quite fulfilled - there are some free channels, but anything worthwhile (the on-demand box sets for example) are all chargeable. For me Netflix at £6 a month is a veritable bargain, especially as you can watch it anywhere on a tablet.

Anyway, I'll leave it to your far more resourceful chaps to work it out!!

Take care boys,

Jon

Having just finally gone unlimited on the broadband I can finally use sky on demand which I have never used before but for some reason they think I have and will not give me a free wireless adapter.

So I found this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-WIRELESS-CONNECTOR-FOR-SKY-ON-DEMAND-BBC-ITV-IPLAYER-NETFLIX-YOUVIEW-/281257431796?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

You guys seem a lot more up on these kinda things but will this do the job?

Brianpilman said:
The fitters have a habit of trying it then buggering off with the wireless box. So glad mine isn't too far from the hub so it's wired

I did wonder if this might have happened. Unfortunately hub is upstairs on the other side of a chimney breast. I'll try and spot a sky van they are usually up for flogging their stock.

I suppose this is relevant; finally there's a new M8 android box just about arriving on UK shores, it's a quad CPU/octo GPU which "should" run XBMC straight off the bat and handle full HD content stutter free without having to tit about with custom ROM's and XBMC setups. Anybody got one yet?

I'd usually give it a few months for the intake and analysis of this new hardware to occur as it's never seamless and having dug a little deeper most of the ebay retailers selling these boxes are Chinese with a UK front which may make recourse a little difficult.

Re: RE: Anyone got a Now TV box?

antdad said:
I suppose this is relevant; finally there's a new M8 android box just about arriving on UK shores, it's a quad CPU/octo GPU which "should" run XBMC straight off the bat and handle full HD content stutter free without having to tit about with custom ROM's and XBMC setups. Anybody got one yet?

I'd usually give it a few months for the intake and analysis of this new hardware to occur as it's never seamless and having dug a little deeper most of the ebay retailers selling these boxes are Chinese with a UK front which may make recourse a little difficult.

I have seen one in operation with xbmc, IMO it is faster through main menu when selecting add ons or source sites, however it isn't as stable as suggested during the period of an hour it crashed twice on a search task running on 30mb. My apple TV 2 in comparison is more stable but does run off 60mb.

My ATV2 isn't always so happy streaming full 1080 HD which is why I went looking for an alternative.

I read there were heat issues (as you might expect) with the original M8 chipset so there was a recall, hopefully the newer kit might have addressed the glitches.

Back
Top Bottom