Another watch recommendation thread

As the title suggests...

Evening all,

Now I'm trying to convince SWMBO to buy me a watch for Christmas, failing that I'll buy it myself. But I need some help please.

I don't mind automatic or quartz, I've never owned an automatic before so I'd be interested in trying one. I probably will only wear it half the week, which means automatic will be a pain and need to be wound but I can live with that.

Budget is probably up to around 75, which I understand will limit me a bit but I wouldn't like to spend more than that on a watch, nor have it spent on a watch for me by SWMBO.

I've been looking at a few watches, mainly Seikos or G-Shocks.

I like this watch which is an option, or the different varieties of this watch like the green strap and the metal straps, but I do prefer the nylon ones. However, the 30m water resistant puts me off a bit. I'll never go 30m and mostly will just wear it in the shower/washing the car and very occasionally swimming in it. But this isn't recommended in watches with this low resistance. Does anyone have one of these and can attest to its water resistance? Even with movement while swimming underwater I can't imagine exerting 3 atmospheric bars of pressure on it. I'm not sure why 99 feet is given as the resistance but then you're told not to swim or shower in it...

This watch is a better choice as it offers more water resistance but if the above watch will survive the shower/car washing then there's no point spending the extra money on this watch, as I prefer the aesthetics of the first watch.

Like I said, I've been looking at G-Shocks too. My brother has a G-Shock, model unknown which charges the battery with solar power, has the 39 city times or whatever it is, 5 alarms and all that jazz. Great water resistance and the non metal strap is a bonus to me too.

I like this one, but my question is with the watches in my price range, is there a massive difference in the functions or just how it looks? I don't need a tide graph, or vibrating alert or any of that. Just I like the world time and the alarms. I don't think any of the G-Shocks in my price range have the solar capability which isn't ideal but I can live with it.

If you were going to buy a G-Shock up to 75 pound what one would you go for? Also, opinions on the Seikos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alex

I have no doubt that you can scubadive with the military Seiko, however I would avoid hot shower to preserve the silicone seal that keeps the watch waterproof. The military Seiko is very versatile, and you could replace the bracelet with NATO straps of different colors.

Concerning G-Shocks, as they have got the same basic functions, it is more a matter of personal taste and probably of wrist size. Some G's can be very chunky. Personally I would go for:
http://www.creationwatches.com/products/casio-g-shock-57/casio-g-shock-tough-solar-g-6900-1dr-mens-watch-3125.html
http://www.creationwatches.com/products/casio-g-shock-57/casio-g-shock-g-7900-1d-g-7900-g-7900-1-digital-sports-mens-watch-2819.html

I wear a solar radiocontroled (very good signal in UK) 5600 with negative display, in rotation with my mechanical watch. A bit like that:
http://www.creationwatches.com/products/casio-g-shock-57/casio-g-shock-atomic-multiband-6-gw-m5610-1-mens-watch-5309.html

Thanks for your response.

I know the Seikos are very well made, so that was my thoughts that I'd be ok with the military one. I just love the look of it.

I think I've got an average wrist (maybe not actually, I always need links taken out of metal bracelets) but I do like chunky watches. That second one you've linked was one I was considering so maybe I'll go with that. One advantage of the G-Shock is it won't stop/need winding if I don't wear it for a while.

Any recommendations on places to buy straps too?

Thanks,

Alex

antdad said:
Lucky you won't be using it for diving...30 metres is 4 bar, 1 bar is at sea level.

Apologies, you're correct. To be honest I'm likely to take it off whenever I go into water, but like most things I would occasionally forget and don't want to end up with a ruined watch if I do.

Back
Top Bottom