Android TV box

Hi, there
I am considering buying a android smart TV box player,which can download movies, music and receive emails. If anyone could recommend a good one? Not worried about spending some money, just want one that can work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
One word of caution.
These things tend to run using a bastardised version of the old Xbox media called XBMC.
If it's the temptation of "free" stuff thats guiding you. These things need constant upgrading to keep you ahead of the game, when it works it's great when it doesn't it's a pain .

Last edited:
Avoid aftermarket tat, you can pick up the Chromecast for £30 odd so why go for the hassle.

Cos the content is free?

To the OP install Kodi/XBMC on your PC/Mac and learn how to install addon's, stream and download stuff then when you buy the best android box you can afford Kodi with it's add-ons won't be an alien concept to you. I think the M10 is the very latest android TV box ncarnation but as Stacy said it's not fire and forget, you do need to get your hands dirty occasionally to keep thinks updated.

I have both a chromecast and a fire stick, both are excellent, it just depends is you use the Amazon tv and want a remote

Personally I'm liking the chromecast for the large amount of third party apps there are for it, so basically lots of free tv in hd

Depends what you want, if you're wanting the sports and movies channels maybe sky is the thing for you. If you want Amazoninstant, Netflix or to play your own downloaded content the chromecast/firestick is more your thing. Any more info, give me a shout: )

Depends what you want, if you're wanting the sports and movies channels maybe sky is the thing for you. If you want Amazoninstant, Netflix or to play your own downloaded content the chromecast/firestick is more your thing. Any more info, give me a shout: )
Sky Sports doesnt bother me and movies we just either borrow DVD's or buy in different formats. Its the ease of Sky and the functions of recording that I like Sky for, also my son is obessed with Peppa Pig (Nick Jr) so childrens channels is essential.

Sky Sports doesnt bother me and movies we just either borrow DVD's or buy in different formats. Its the ease of Sky and the functions of recording that I like Sky for, also my son is obessed with Peppa Pig (Nick Jr) so childrens channels is essential.
By the sounds of it I would go with some sort of TV box, be that Sky, Virgin or BT. Ease wise, I would be tempted to go with the skytv (or tv box from whatever company you get your home internet from as part of a bundle deal), that way you can get the channels, recording functions and also the kids tv channels. As a side note, maybe considering getting a netflix subscription (or one month trial) as they have an extensive kids section on there as well as all the normal programming.

I've been using the ChromeCast and it's very good - very easy to unplug and then pop into a different TV.

It works best when streaming video that's already been downloaded to the PC but is fine with a stream coming from Chrome via an app like VideoStream 90% of the time -it all depends on your connection.

Kodi on my PC under the TV, connected via HDMI.
A little hassle, OK lots of hassle compared to sky, who have the EPG NAILED, but I've got all my movies/TV series covered.
Even Live sports if you can be arsed ratching for a decent stream....

Back
Top Bottom