Android 4.0 questions

I've just got a new phone and with it a newer version of Android (4.0). Two things totally baffling me.
1) On Android 2.3 I use to have a scrollable list of icons showing me up to about ten apps running at any one time. Now all I can find is the notifications panel (the pull down one, not the constant status bar; apologies if my labels are wrong) which partially works. I can jump to, say, music player as there will be a notification on the app and the track, etc. But there are no icons/notifications for Tapatalk or my browser, so how do I quickly switch between these running programs?
2) I am getting a very annoying low space on SD card warning. Everything I've searched through on the internet relates to the phone's internal memory but this specifically refers to the fact that I have 500MB left on my 32GB SD card. Since I don't record a lot of videos and I like to fill the card up with music, how can I disable this annoying message (which reappears about five minutes after I cancel it) or at least change the htreshold? 500MB left is plenty for my purposes.

Thanks in advance and hope there are easy solutions :-S

I always use the recent apps button to track back through programs I've been using, other than that I have all my usual apps in one folder on my home screen. Apologies if I have grasped the wrong part of a stick.

Recent Apps button for me too, on my phone it is the button that looks like 2 overlapping squares. I don't know of a solution to the space issue though, apart from a bigger SD card.

My phone doesn't have that button although holding Home down does it anyway. Thanks. Would love to be able to fix the sd card warning but not seen anything yet that addresses it. May have to get used to ignoring it!

I wouldn't buy a bigger card just to switch off an unnecessary warning. I wonder what the threshold is?

Beware the dreaded nearly full message! It is followed by a series of "Unfortunately, android.media.can't-remember cannot start", The way to solve both is to shed stuff you have loaded, empty caches, dump data.

I'm still struggling to understand what my tablet means by "SD Card" as sometimes it means external memory and sometimes refers to the tablet internal memory. What do androids use for memory - internal memory? Surely not an SD card? (instead of a hard drive?)

Sd card refers to internal memory (no idea why they called it that!)
Your add on card is called external sd card :huh:
Open your filer (now called MY FILES) in the app drawer and have a look around...
Kies will also display the storage usage, this is ran on a pc...
All confusing at the outset, but you'll soon get the hang of it.
Try moving apps to the external card to free up memory... I also find the need for an app killer to keep things smooth.

Over 7gb free on the sd card that isn't an sd card. In the end I plugged the phone with card inserted into a pc and deleted a few old apps on the card (apps from other phone). Increased free space to 2gb and no more nagging notifications! Thanks all for your help. Still can't believe I have at least 500mb I can't use without being nagged! It is like shareware Android! :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom