Am I loading my Pearl Flexi wrong?

Hi Guys,

I recently brought a Pearl Flexi and tried loading it for the first time today. I came across a weird issue in that the the blade span(?) was different between one side as opposed to the other. I've been shaving with one razor pretty much my whole DE life so the most like scenario is I'm being dumb and doing something fundamentally wrong. I've tried loading 3 different blades from different manufacturers and get the same issue each time. I've tried turning the top cap around and get the same problem. The gap between both sides is more pronounced the higher the aggressiveness setting as you'd expect but it is noticeable on all settings. I've screwed it tight so nothing is loose.

I know that there have been issues with the Flexi in the past but I've never heard of this particular issue. It's a V8.

I've attached a few pictures which show the clear difference (razor turned 180 degrees).. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Pearl Flexi 1.jpg
    Pearl Flexi 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Pearl Flexi 2.jpg
    Pearl Flexi 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
I don't know how the razor works, but can the top cap be turned round 180°.
I'm sure I read somewhere there is a dot to line up on a razor to ensure correct fitting, don't know if it was this razor.though, but I would give that a try

Parker Variant is one of those with only one way of fitting the top cap, clearly maked but I don't think Pearl Flexi is one of them.
I believe the OC mentioned about turning the cap around to no avail.
To me (bear in mind I don't own one) sounds as QC issue. By what you said you explored all options. Don't be surprised even if it is a late version. Sometimes things don't get picked up.
Hope you can return it and get a replacement/refund.

@hotmetal @culcreuch your Flexi's don't look remotely like the issue mine appears to have? I know you pretty much said that already but I want to be certain before I go to Pearl.

It does seem bizarre. So much so that I didn't think it could be anything other than me!

Thanks all.

I know some people fully take apart theirs to clean, and if so it can be an issue when reassembled things aren’t quite in line or over tighten. You might not have done that though. I’d go to Pearl it has a warranty and I’ve found them very helpful in the past when I had mine.

Hi Guys,

I recently brought a Pearl Flexi and tried loading it for the first time today. I came across a weird issue in that the the blade span(?) was different between one side as opposed to the other. I've been shaving with one razor pretty much my whole DE life so the most like scenario is I'm being dumb and doing something fundamentally wrong. I've tried loading 3 different blades from different manufacturers and get the same issue each time. I've tried turning the top cap around and get the same problem. The gap between both sides is more pronounced the higher the aggressiveness setting as you'd expect but it is noticeable on all settings. I've screwed it tight so nothing is loose.

I know that there have been issues with the Flexi in the past but I've never heard of this particular issue. It's a V8.

I've attached a few pictures which show the clear difference (razor turned 180 degrees).. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Recently bought, misaligned top cap.

Return it to where you bought it from for a refund or exchange.

It's hard to see how it could be anything you've done. The razor just goes back together the same whichever way the top cap is oriented, so long as the blade is correctly located on the tabs and there's nothing wrong with the threads. The bottom knob should spin freely until the top cap is tightened down. As mine doesn't have any issues I'm not sure how to show this but here are some close-ups of mine, empty and with a brand new GSB loaded. 20220910_233527.jpg20220910_233555.jpg

20220910_233705.jpg20220910_233752.jpg
20220910_233759.jpg20220910_233839.jpg20220910_233848.jpg
Worth mentioning that the blade is fresh and what may look like a wobble is just the glue dots where I just unwrapped the blade.

I had the V6, 1 good, 1 dodgy (not misaligned but stuck dial). I ripped the stuck dial one apart and put it back together a good few times (to try and fix my issue) and not once did I manage to replicate that and I really went to town on it with some force.

I would definitely be on to whoever you bought it from to replace it.

quick update guys. Pearl's customer support has been non existent so far. I've emailed them twice over the past 4 weeks with no reply. I've just sent a 3rd through their customer contact form. I'm really shocked at this, as other members have reported that their support has been really good in the past.

I haven't jumped on this yet due to being so busy at work but if I don't hear back soon I will do. I'll go to the original seller if I have to but they're not UK based so it may not be straight forward.

I'll keep this thread updated. I think it's important that members are aware of manufacturer's customer service standards and willingness to honour warranties.

quick update guys. Pearl's customer support has been non existent so far. I've emailed them twice over the past 4 weeks with no reply. I've just sent a 3rd through their customer contact form. I'm really shocked at this, as other members have reported that their support has been really good in the past.

I haven't jumped on this yet due to being so busy at work but if I don't hear back soon I will do. I'll go to the original seller if I have to but they're not UK based so it may not be straight forward.

I'll keep this thread updated. I think it's important that members are aware of manufacturer's customer service standards and willingness to honour warranties.
I would always contact the place I bought an item from first and leave contacting the manufacturer as a last ditch resort.

The seller/shop sold you a faulty razor, return it to them and let them deal with whoever supplied it to them ie. manufacturer or wholesaler.

Reactions: ATG
I would always contact the place I bought an item from first and leave contacting the manufacturer as a last ditch resort.

The seller/shop sold you a faulty razor, return it to them and let them deal with whoever supplied it to them ie. manufacturer or wholesaler.

As would I usually. It's just the EU thing. Ball aching around with whatever forms things need now days. It's probably a lot easier than I'm thinking it is. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom