Alum block.

Hi people, I had my first shave today with an alum block, and think I used it correctly. After the shave, I run the block under cold water then rubbed this all over my face quite vigourously. I then let it dry naturally.

I think I may of used too much though, as it kind of looked like I had bits of tissue paper stuck to my skin afterwards.

I did rub in quite a bit of alum, so maybe less is more in this case. Anyone that uses alum, advice would be great.

Regards, Conan.

conanthewarrior said:
Hi people, I had my first shave today with an alum block, and think I used it correctly. After the shave, I run the block under cold water then rubbed this all over my face quite vigourously. I then let it dry naturally.

I think I may of used too much though, as it kind of looked like I had bits of tissue paper stuck to my skin afterwards.

I did rub in quite a bit of alum, so maybe less is more in this case. Anyone that uses alum, advice would be great.

Regards, Conan.

Leave it to dry on your face for a few minutes while you clean your razor and brush, make a cup of coffee, feed the cat, whatever. Then rinse it off.
No need to rub it vigorously either. Gently run it over your face a couple of times. Feed the dog, rinse it off.

I don't run mine under the tap, my freshly rinsed face is wet enough to provide the glide needed for the alum. It takes less than 10 seconds to rub it all over the shaved skin on my face. Just like riverrun, I then clean up my brush, razor, sink etc before rinsing the alum off.

Used to use it over over but now yes just for cuts mainly.
Oh and dont drop it on the sink, surprised it didn't break.
Well the Alum did though

Most folks seem to think the alum block is just for nicks and weepers, but I use a styptic pencil in those situations. The alum block will take care of the minor nicks but the main benefit it provides for me is as an indicator of where on my face I have used too much pressure, or tried too many passes -- it stings a bit in those areas, and makes me mindful for the next shave.

Also, I seem to find that it seasons my beard in some way that actually improves my future shaves. I suppose this could all be in my mind, but I've taken a break from the alum, and my shave quality suffers. When I begin using it again after each shave, my shaves improve -- both in terms of comfort, and quality of shaves (few, if any, nicks or weepers).

Give it a try for a week straight and see if you find a similar result.
I, for one, am sold on the idea.
~

PotatoRazor said:
Most folks seem to think the alum block is just for nicks and weepers, but I use a styptic pencil in those situations. The alum block will take care of the minor nicks but the main benefit it provides for me is as an indicator of where on my face I have used too much pressure, or tried too many passes -- it stings a bit in those areas, and makes me mindful for the next shave.

Also, I seem to find that it seasons my beard in some way that actually improves my future shaves. I suppose this could all be in my mind, but I've taken a break from the alum, and my shave quality suffers. When I begin using it again after each shave, my shaves improve -- both in terms of comfort, and quality of shaves (few, if any, nicks or weepers).

Give it a try for a week straight and see if you find a similar result.
I, for one, am sold on the idea.
~

Totally +1

Back
Top Bottom