Alum block or Styptic pencil?

Hi,

I bought a Boots Styptic pencil with the Wilkinson Sword classic DE when I started DE shaving. However the little that was left of the styptic pencil has now turned to mush and I'm wanting to replace it. Would another styptic pencil be good or would an alum block be better? I only use it if I nick myself to stop bleeding as I use aftershave balm to calm post shave.

Thanks

I vote alum. If you've had the pencil that long you probably find that you are neither nicking yourself as severely or frequently.
Alum clears up the minor nicks and would last much longer than any styptic pencil.

I think a styptic pencil is better for stopping the bleeding from small cuts from my experience. Whatever else is in the styptic pencil seems to seal nicks straight away whereas just an alum block would/will only slow the bleeding momentarily.

I like both. Alum after every shave. Styptic for proper nicks and bleeders. Always gently wash and thoroughly, but gently, dry both after use. For hygiene and to stop the styptic turning to mush.

Definitely styptic if you only want one - but like some others I use alum after every shave anyway and for underarm deodorant. I still keep a styptic handy as well as some talcum powder containing alum - this is a last resort if all else fails but has not been needed since I came off the blood thinning tablets.

Hiya,

For the rare times I need it, 'My Nik is Sealed' works well. It's a roll on liquid that stops the bleeding in a hurry, although it stings like a bastard. I much prefer this over a styptic pencil.

Martin

I dried my pencil so it didn't turn to mush.
However I use the alum block every so often, which does a slightly better job in my opinion. But then I don't even nick myself these days so it's hard to tell. Will probably PIF my pencil in the blade bazzar.

Styptic for proper cuts and nicks, alum block to dry your skin out after you went to great lengths to select and shave with a soap that didn't dry it out.

Ian

anotheruser said:
I dried my pencil so it didn't turn to mush.
Will probably PIF my pencil in the blade bazzar.

That's a very kind offer but at about £2 I think I'd rather have a personalised styptic rather than one that's been applied to open cuts by someone else.

Styptic pencils are £1 at Savers! (I don't work for them, honest.)

Let's be clear: both the pencil and block are made of exactly the same stuff, just with possibly some binder in the sticks.

Alum. No contest. Does the job, last practically forever. I've got two blocks, the large one stays at home, and has thus far lasted three years, and is likely to last another three years before it needs to be replaced. The other (a much smaller one) sits in my travel wash kit, hasn't been used much, but still does the job. Will probably outlast the bigger block!

I got them both via amazon.

Cheers,

Roger

Back
Top Bottom