Alum, Alum or Alum?

My stypic pencil is virtually dead so ned to get some Alum. BUT are all Alum blocks the same?
Are there any recommended Alum blocks, sticks pens to get
What are the differences?

Some advise would be great :D

Styptic pencils and alum are different things, alum will not stop bleeding as well as a styptic. The alum is used more as a aftershave, really all are created equal but the cheap ones are more ruff, you can pick them up from indian grociers normally. I got razorrock alum sticks in a plastic tube from audiolab on here(dont know if he still has any) works great for me as has its own container

What Pedro said. If you want a nice alternative to styptic for any minor nicks or bleeders then I can recommend Proraso Gel. Tiny dab seals up the most annoying weeper. I got mine from the ever reliable Paul at Connaught shaving.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Evvaa said:
My stypic pencil is virtually dead so ned to get some Alum. BUT are all Alum blocks the same?
Are there any recommended Alum blocks, sticks pens to get
What are the differences?

Some advise would be great :D

Deodorant crystals tend to be ammonium alum (ammonium aluminium sulphate) - still works in the same way for shaving, but stings like bastards in comparison to "shaving alum".

Alum blocks - A "shaving alum" block should be made of potassium alum (potassium aluminium sulphate) - you can pay anything from 50p to £20 for one - what changes? The wrapping, the initial smoothness of the block (use it twice and that's negated) and the evenness of the crystallisation (although that's not guaranteed to be finer and more even with an expensive one) which makes no difference to the effectiveness. Can also be used as a deodorant (and won't emit ammonia whiffs under "pressure" - example hot day, fat bloke on a bike powering up a hill)

They all smash just fine on the sink or bathroom floor :lol:

Styptic pencils tend to be aluminium sulphate & talc.

Your call - 50p use it twice and have a smooth block, or considerably more and have it smooth from first use & some fancy wrapping :shave

Stupid, stupid question... do you just rub the block round your chops after a shave? As opposed to breaking it down into dust and rubbing that in (you mentioned dropping it)

NotTheStig said:
Stupid, stupid question... do you just rub the block round your chops after a shave? As opposed to breaking it down into dust and rubbing that in (you mentioned dropping it)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5CB5OsHO8[/youtube]

:shave :shave :shave

NotTheStig said:

Once it's been dropped and is in 3 million pieces, any usable fragments are salvaged, all the rest gets sucked up the hoover.

Wipe it over the wet fizzer, give it a rinse and stand to dry.

I watched that guy in the past..some things made sense..others didn't to me..why would I wanna rub some sticky crap all over my face before my str8 shave.. isn't alum block for WHEN you get a few nicks or cuts..yes they heal in seconds!..I used it once :mrgreen:
But I rub my left hand finger tips for skin stretching which works great!..another FYI

B

Still can't believe how good the Edwin jagger razor is! Super close shave with a Shark Super Chrome in 2 passes.
Wet my face after the shave with cold water, applied alum. Face feels a little bit sore and the alum a little rough (cheap one), skin really dries out and feels a bit tight. Better than applying aftershave (which I tend to avoid) and more economical than using balm (probably). I like the stuff. Has no smell or residue which is a bonus. Took care of a tiny nick on my nostril just fine. Glad I bought some.

Back
Top Bottom