Al's Shaving Products

Evening gents, I came across this brand today after reading a review here. I'd never heard of them but a strong Bay Rum sounded tempting. However, it works out to $43 with shipping for a puck. Shipping is as expensive for samples as they only come in a set.

I wrote the owner to see if it were possible to get a single sample in an envelope posted out. He said no.

Al's emails amused me, he sure is sure of himself:
Al Raz said:
I am really sorry that you are going to miss the ORIGINAL bay rum shaving cream in your Bay-Rum-A-Thon, you should have checked with us first or perhaps you can leave Calypso for last (always leave the best for last and order once your finances allow). The good news is that we use USPS Intl Priority Mail flat rate boxes that allow to ship up to 4 regular size tubs for the same price. It is shameful you did not know about Al's Shaving Products :icon_razz:

Really, really sure of himself:
Al Raz said:
Our lather when properly hydrated beats any brand in quantity and quality, please keep that in mind. No other products produce more and better lather than Al's Shaving Products.

Holy crap he's still going:
Al Raz said:
I can tell you that NOBODY beats the amount of lather we produce, with others you may get more amount but no better product tht is my definition of value.

Anyone ever try them? I'd be willing to pay for a sample of the Bay Rum. Or possibly combine an order if we could get 4 pucks worth of interest.

I have heard of him, some guys on B&B were praising his wares.

Can he do that in the US with such products? No Ingredients list on his website, or on his packaging?

I would like to know what is in it before buying, or even using for that matter.

If you can get an ingredients list and providing there is no real nasties then I am in for a tub Chris. I would like Calypso.

OK, so I used Al's Shaving "Zenyatta Aranciata" shave croap for this morning's shave.
Oddly, this variation is not on his website but another review can be found here.
The scent is VERY aromatic. Simply opening the sample jar fills the room with the aroma similar to a scented candle.
Performance...meh.
Not impressed at all.
Lather was OK but totally NOT what his claims are. I used a generous almond sized blob (1/3 of the sample jar) and my M&F L7 butterscotch and went to work in my warmed lather bowl. After a few minutes work I finally got enough lather for my shave.
The lather had adequate slip/glide and good cushion/protection but oddly the slickness faded immediately after scraping it off with the razor. There was no residual slickness left behind for minor buffing/touch up without using the brush to reapply.
I used ALL of the lather (had to wring it out of my brush to get enough to finish the 3rd pass).
Once finished, my face felt dried out and I had to use more balm than I thought I should. My skin kept soaking the balm up like it was thirsty.
The scent is powerful, but the performance just isn't there for me.
I won't be buying any.

Mr_Smartepants said:
OK, so I used Al's Shaving "Zenyatta Aranciata" shave croap for this morning's shave.
Oddly, this variation is not on his website but another review can be found here.
The scent is VERY aromatic. Simply opening the sample jar fills the room with the aroma similar to a scented candle.
Performance...meh.
Not impressed at all.
Lather was OK but totally NOT what his claims are. I used a generous almond sized blob (1/3 of the sample jar) and my M&F L7 butterscotch and went to work in my warmed lather bowl. After a few minutes work I finally got enough lather for my shave.
The lather had adequate slip/glide and good cushion/protection but oddly the slickness faded immediately after scraping it off with the razor. There was no residual slickness left behind for minor buffing/touch up without using the brush to reapply.
I used ALL of the lather (had to wring it out of my brush to get enough to finish the 3rd pass).
Once finished, my face felt dried out and I had to use more balm than I thought I should. My skin kept soaking the balm up like it was thirsty.
The scent is powerful, but the performance just isn't there for me.
I won't be buying any.

Thank you Erik I trust you good judgement and will not participate a tub after all.

If you get a chance listen to 'brushnsoapnblade' I get it through my mobile on podcasts. Yesterdays podcast reviewed a few of Al's soaps, apparrently you need only 1/8th teaspoon for an incredible lather. Calypso is also not liked by the podcast author but as always ymmv.

@Mr_Smartepants: well obviously you're an idiot and are doing something wrong!

:icon_lol:

Thanks a million for the review.

My email conversation with Al continues and it's gotten... weird. Its really like chatting with a forum member on a thread nearly veering out of control.

He apparently doesn't publish ingredients although I did ask. I'm almost scared what his response will be to that. Also when playing with his site I noticed the postage jumped up at 4 pucks, so really you could only get 3 pucks at the $25 shipping rate.

Come to think of it, it's weird he doesn't list ingredients. From greg's blog post he has this:
Greg's Shaving Soap Reviews said:
Ingredients: No ingredient listing was provided, nor was I able to find one on-line. Al did however have this to say: “The forumula of Al's Shaving Cream is Triethanolamine and preservative (parabens) free and only contains sodium and potassium salts of fatty acids (stearic, oleic, linoleic, palmitic, myristic and lauric) in addition to water, glycerin and botanicals.”

The guy is trying to be clever as this is a general description for nearly every shave soap out there that uses both, sodium and potassium hydroxides to convert the oils and fatty acids to salts. He is describing the fundamental properties of the soap rather than the soaps ingredients.

His soap might be the best thing since slice bread but why all the secrecy and attitude? This guy is strange to say the least. :-/

I think its all designed to get people talking and interested about his soap, (free promotion) good luck to him and his soap.

newkie, Mr_Smartepants is from your home town, San Francisco.

Nishy said:
If you get a chance listen to 'brushnsoapnblade' I get it through my mobile on podcasts. Yesterdays podcast reviewed a few of Al's soaps, apparrently you need only 1/8th teaspoon for an incredible lather. Calypso is also not liked by the podcast author but as always ymmv.
I have just started listening to those podcasts and I'm trying to get caught up. I'm on #23 now.

newkie said:

LOL, yes, probably true! ;)
I'm willing to bet that his cream/croap DOES contain artificial crap in it. It has a metallic/opalescent quality to it that you don't get in "natural" soaps.
I'll try and capture it with my camera but it looks...odd.

Darron, I'll send it to you if you want to evaluate it. It won't get much love in this house.

Mr_Smartepants said:
Nishy said:
I have just started listening to those podcasts and I'm trying to get caught up. I'm on #23 now.

newkie said:

LOL, yes, probably true! ;)
I'm willing to bet that his cream/croap DOES contain artificial crap in it. It has a metallic/opalescent quality to it that you don't get in "natural" soaps.
I'll try and capture it with my camera but it looks...odd.

Darron, I'll send it to you if you want to evaluate it. It won't get much love in this house.
Yes please Erik I have to admit I am interested only because of the chaps attitude and secrecy.

Erik you mention it has a metallic/opalescent. Pearlecences is a characteristic of a high amount of Potassium and Coconut oil being used in a cream soap that has been milled, it can also be added to creams artificially. Given what I have read about the way his soap lathers I am inclined to believe it has a high coconut and potassium hydroxide content.

I don't think this guy is hiding anything, I believe he thinks that either his soap will be copied, or found out as he has copied someone else soap or what I mentioned above a ploy to create added interest. The later I am finding is working on me. :D

It seems its not just Mr_Smartepants who has had problems with this soap and its lack of lather.

http://bayrumdiaries.com/review-als-shaving-products-calypso-shaving-cream/

Back
Top Bottom