Allergic to ...? Help from ingredient experts needed

Like the OP, I've had a burning sensation when using an almond scented shaving product, in this case GFT almond shaving soap. I chucked the soap (an Xmas prez from my mum!) after a few shaves. I've since had a similar experience with Fitness for Man and have come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to the benzaldehyde used to give the almond fragrance. Strangely, I really like and have no adverse reactions to marzipan so I guess that it is just topical application of this compound that I have problems with rather than ingestion. I now make a conscious effort to avoid shaving products with benzaldehyde listed in their formulation, or those with an almond fragrance.

soapalchemist said:
If this listed in the OP 'Tetrasodium, DTA' is a typo, and should read 'Tetrasodium EDTA', and you get on all right with the No. 10, then that leaves

Benzaldhyde, Phenoxethanol, Butylparaben, CI19140(yellow5), C17200(Red33), CI42090(Blue1) + parfum.

Aside from the Parfum, which can't be helped, have you checked the MWF and Godrej to see whether one or more of these of these appears in both?

After checking the box it was a typo, so thats narrowed the list down. No response from Godrej.

Crabtree and Evelyn products are heavily perfumed. They lather well, but after using a few times, my skin was very irritated. I think the perfumes are definitely a likely candidate as a cause for a lot of people being sensitive.

I bought Proraso sensitive skin shaving soap last week and really found a soap that is soothing.

Buggeration! Jermyn Steet Collection shaving soap decided to add itself to the Avoid List this morning - I'm hoping this was because my face was still a bit annoyed with whatever kicked it off this time and I'll be able to use Jermyn Street in the future. I love the fragrance.

I'm allergic to something in TOBS shaving cream (Jermyn, Eton, Coconut), it burns and makes my face all red and blotchy.

TOBS soap's (Jermyn, Sandalwood) and every other soap and cream I've used is fine.

A good job I normally use soap.

Back
Top Bottom