After the darkness there was light?

Well here's my little story of my first straight razor project I started a few weeks back, I decided that out of the several razors I own that I was going to start restoring the two vintage Kropp razor in my collection, so, heads down and away I went, two days hand sanding polishing honing, the razor was looking great, finally I took it out the back garden to my power drill with some polishing compound I finally finished it, then my wife heard me let out a massive scream HELL! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! yes I dropped the razor on the floor breaking off about a quarter of a inch near the tang side of the blade, I was so gutted I couldn't throw the razor in the bin so I put it in one of my stash draws, then a few days ago I got this idea of giving it a regrind and low and behold what a lovely comfortable thing in hand it is, I really think for me this could be easier to shave with than a standard straight razor the blade that's left is 2inches, I will definietly give it a go, but I also have a few Mahogany off cuts that would make a very nice looking single fixed handle for this razor, as I said out of the darkness came light.

Jamie

001.jpg

002.jpg

Nicely done, I'd say. The thing which bothers me a little about this kind of regrind is losing the stablisiser though it may well not be a problem at all. (Hope not, I was given a similar candidate recently). Have you tried using it without scales Jamie? Short bladed Western ground kamisori type razors have enjoyed a bit of a vogue recently in the US.

Hi, andy I haven't tried using it without scales, I have held it and sort of gone through the motion of shaving and it seems very precise and very maneuverable, I will give it a go without the scales, then I may put a fixed mahogany handle on it including two brass pins.

Regards
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom