Advice on a new razor

Had my first shave with one of those tuppeny/thrupenny (ok £10)Gilette Tech 4s that a woman in Wales seems to have a job lot of on ebay.It is a small, light razor (surprizingly so when unpacked it) and it gave me a nice shave (Astra Super Platinum blade). I would point you there if you want something that I have found as a noob to be cheap, effective and forgiving.

You might be able to get this one for £3.99 if you are lucky as unlike when I went on, there is no other so and so bidding.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-G...332676?hash=item28233476c4:g:HIkAAMXQQQhRduT9

@Jack Sales I hope to try one day but they are expensive (for a good one- a homing service I saw on the net refuses to touch the cheap Chinese "dollar things")' need a lot of attention and it is quite a high learning curve. I see here that there is a guy here in Kent near who makes the most beautiful straights though.Maybe down the line I will buy one. I may try a straight in a passaround with a stop in a few months but I will perfect my touch on a DE. DE now I have been doing it for a month or so seems a great balance between shave quality and comvenience when dashing out of a morning. I am getting far closer, less irritating shaves now than I did with a cartridge system.
You Can Buy a Good Shave Ready Gold Dollar & Strop from EBay for around 30 Notes at the Door..A Decent Shave Ready SR is Not Expensive...Or a Vintage One for Maybe a Tenner More with a Hone Job..;)

Billy

@Fergiebilly Thanks I would love an old Sheffield Straight as an objet d'art. I have some Sheffield scissors (and of course the Edwin Jagger) as well as some knives and the quality of production and their steel is sublime but I need DE practice first.mI have seen a lot of people trashing Gold Dollar straights forums (not here or ATG)telling of honers refusing to touch them. I would probably have to use a honer at some point as I do with work knives as I am useless at sharpening: scratched the bezel of a lovely knife to buggery first time I tried it without increasing its sharpness

@Leisureguy You have convinced me and when Paul at Connought gets a new supply next month I will try a Parker 24. It will be interesting to compare it to the Edwin Jagger DE89L which with the Merkur 34C seem to be the default noob recommendations. BTW had a read through your blog on sampler pack and the book preview. I look forward to the book.

@Fergiebilly Thanks I would love an old Sheffield Straight as an objet d'art. I have some Sheffield scissors (and of course the Edwin Jagger) as well as some knives and the quality of production and their steel is sublime but I need DE practice first.mI have seen a lot of people trashing Gold Dollar straights forums (not here or ATG)telling of honers refusing to touch them. I would probably have to use a honer at some point as I do with work knives as I am useless at sharpening: scratched the bezel of a lovely knife to buggery first time I tried it without increasing its sharpness

@Leisureguy You have convinced me and when Paul at Connought gets a new supply next month I will try a Parker 24. It will be interesting to compare it to the Edwin Jagger DE89L which with the Merkur 34C seem to be the default noob recommendations. BTW had a read through your blog on sampler pack and the book preview. I look forward to the book.
Forums are Full of Crap Talk..Folks Try to Hone SRs that Havent a Brain in their Heads & with No Skill on Crappy Stones..Sharpening a Knife is No Comparison..As I Said You Can Buy them Shave Ready for £19.00..These Ass Holes that Buy them & Cant Hone them are Cheap Skates..:eek:

Billy

Well I am one of those assholes with no skill or brains when it comes to honing so would need an expert to sort that out! I'll try the straight in the ATG lending pool when I can pluck up the courage.

@Mods sorry to hijack the thread :( back to DE razors for beginners. @Jack Sales and @Fergiebilly happy to continue this in pm.

most people had no real skill with honing a razor back in the day. its why they had professional shavers.....Mister Todd being the "mack daddy" of that particular brother hood.

The best option is to buy razors. in bundles and bushel baskets. Razors for every room. Your cat needs nine or ten just for him to use and try out. The gold fish needs at least 3 razors.

Forums are Full of Crap Talk..Folks Try to Hone SRs that Havent a Brain in their Heads & with No Skill on Crappy Stones..Sharpening a Knife is No Comparison..As I Said You Can Buy them Shave Ready for £19.00..These Ass Holes that Buy them & Cant Hone them are Cheap Skates..:eek:

Billy
Some people won't spend a small amount of £ for the basics.They don't realize that the basic stuff is all you need.I would say many can't get there head around actually learning to use & care for a straight.I will be totally honest,I taught myself how to use one.No videos or forum advice.You either do it or don't in my opinion.Yeah you make mistakes as you go along but that's the same with anything in life.

Well I am one of those assholes with no skill or brains when it comes to honing so would need an expert to sort that out! I'll try the straight in the ATG lending pool when I can pluck up the courage.

@Mods sorry to hijack the thread :( back to DE razors for beginners. @Jack Sales and @Fergiebilly happy to continue this in pm.
Like many on here,I am here to offer advice.You know where to find me.Cheers:)

The problem with straights, is that there is so much shit on the market, that look the part, but don't work the part, and some of those are real expensive,
you need a shave ready straight to start with, and that means paying the right price from a trusted seller who knows what shave ready means, there is a big learning curve and you have no chance if you don't have a shave ready razor or don't know how sharp shave ready is, stropping is easy to learn, just don't expect to move the blade like a blur, like you see on youtube, it's much better to strop it slow but well, than fast but badly, and it will take time to be able to do it without thinking.

Hey guys I'm new here and looking to start set shaving again after years of designer stubble. I was looking at the Feather as-2d but at the substantial price they sell for I may start off with something more wallet friendly to get used to it before laying out to much cash.

What would you guys recommend as a starter DE razor for under £30? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey Carl, have you made a purchase yet? I have just bought a EJ Kelvin from amazon for £21, it's fantastic! Compared to the cheapo DE it's night and day, finish is great, nice short handle (which I like) at a great bargain price.

Hey Carl, have you made a purchase yet? I have just bought a EJ Kelvin from amazon for £21, it's fantastic! Compared to the cheapo DE it's night and day, finish is great, nice short handle (which I like) at a great bargain price.

hmmm we may have to work on what "el cheapo" razor means these days.

Back
Top Bottom