Acronis True Image

Hello guys
I have searched the web but cant seam to find a straight answer to my question.

In the past when I have had traditional Laptops with the standard HDD I have used Acronis software to back up that disc image to an external HDD.

I have a new laptop which has a Solid State Drive (SSD) and I am looking for ways to back up an image of this the SSD so I have a few questions I hope folk can answer.

Can I use Acronis to take an image of my Laptops SSD then store that image on a traditional external hard drive (its a 1tb external drive with the spinning plates type thingy)?

Does the external drive need to be another SSD?

Will there be problems restoring the image from a traditional HHD to my laptops SSD?

Hope you can help cause I dont want to go through 90 individual manual updates having to reboot after almost all of the updates should I need to restore to factory standard.

Jim

As far as i know, a disc image is the same, whether copied from a hard disk drive, or a solid state drive. It is just an image, should not matter what format it is copied from.

rob

What Rob said.

Once you have an image you can store it where you want.
I used to burn the images to dvd and re image from there.

Thanks for that, i think i read somewhere that restoring from a external traditional hdd to an ssd caused some problems but must have been my imagination lol.
Thanks for the info.
Jim

If the image you're importing was created on an SSD there should be no problem. I suspect what you read about regarding problems is when you create an image with an HDD then install an SSD and import the image to that. That's what I did when I got my SSD and it took quite a bit of messing about, trying out different imaging software and guides before finally getting it done correctly.

Thanks ravey. I was goi g to buy acronis but there is a free programme called AOMEI Backupper which seams to work just fine for me.
Thanks for all of the help folks.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom