Acquisitions w/c Mon 25th Apr - Sun 1st May incl.

After last weeks miserable failure at persuading London to sell me any shaving goodies, I have given it another go and come back with the following:

100ml botthe Penhaligons Quercus cologne
100ml D.R. Harris Marlborough Cologne
150ml bottle D.R. Harris pink aftershave

also, conveniently, DRH has a pharmacy so:

2x ventolin 'evohaler'

Handy!

Blyth Spirit said:
Moonraker
From Russia With Love
Dr No
Goldfinger

The latter three are in an omnibus edition, and I still need to acquire Diamonds Are Forever, but a busy weekend awaits.

There is bound to be a mention of shaving in them somewhere.
;)

Hi David,

As you may know, I'm an old geezer. I admit it ain't so hot being this old now, but when I was a kid I was lucky enough to live through some pretty darn fun times. Stuff like the Beatles, and all the great fighters in the 60s through the early 80s. That list would also include the introduction of 007 and the whole James Bond thing, at least here in the US. Hah, whoever heard of someone wanting a Martini shaken and not stirred.

Now in the early 60s, the movie theatres always showed two features. One was the 'blockbuster' and the other was usually some sorta grade B filler flic. In all honesty, I forget the main draw title now, but it's not important. What's really funny is the movie Dr No was considered the lesser of the two movies and had second billing almost as an afterthought. Yeah, at that point, nobody here had ever heard of 007. Hard to believe eh?

So I'm 13 years old back in 1962, and not expecting much at all from this spy thing movie. Well, to say I liked it is a strong understatement. Great story line and actors that just blew me away. Plus, Ursula Andress in any movie is a huge bonus, and I'd never heard of her either! Wowie zowie.

After that first movie came out, things changed quite a bit as far as the publicity of the next ones. Pretty fun reading those books too, and Ian Fleming became a household word here for many years.

Martin

Oh yeah, the other Bond film you might think about buying would be You Only Live Twice. Heh, you get to see how Sean Connery looks as an Asian.

Now we're on to Bond, this is worth a look for anyone not familiar with The Spy Who Loved Me's opening sequence...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWLEbNwjCI[/youtube]

Wooden bowl of Coates tea tree and rosemary shaving soap from The Gentlemans Shop and a bottle of Benjamins bay rum from ebay

Whenever I order from The Gentlemans Shop I get emails from Royal Mial when my item has been dispatched, and when it's delivered. Nice touch!

Anyway tried the Coates about 5 mins ago. My first attempt with the Semogue 830 wasn't too successful for some reason. I then rinsed the brush and relathered with it a bit wetter, then face lathered. I live in the Scottish Borders and we have very soft water. Most soaps lather for me in seconds. This took by far the longest on my face, but then the brush seemed to explode with thick creamy lather! It was very, very good.

5662116045_fb885cdc25_z.jpg

I finished up with the Benjamins bay rum which stung a bit, smelt of bay rum then promptly buggered off leaving not a trace behind. Decidely not long lasting......

simmo3801 said:
Wooden bowl of Coates tea tree and rosemary shaving soap from The Gentlemans Shop and a bottle of Benjamins bay rum from ebay

Whenever I order from The Gentlemans Shop I get emails from Royal Mial when my item has been dispatched, and when it's delivered. Nice touch!

Glad you like it Simmo! Thought mine might have arrived today but no luck. Sitting hear with a stubbly face which I'm saving until tomorrow morning. :(

It's good, my first iffy lather was just down to me. It almost seems like a harder soap than others I've used that give up the lather quicker if that makes sense? I was a bit concerned that the tea tree might irritate my skin as I thought it might sting a bit in use. In use other than the smell I didn't notice the tea tree. Still sitting faceturbating now though..

Bottle of Barbershop Bay Rum arrived earlier in the week - Cheers Steve
50 Lord SS Extra Blades from Connaught - Cheers Paul
and finally:
A Tubby 2 in black came in this morning - Thanks Fido.

(Now just waiting for my Coates Soap...) :roll: :lol:

Nothing shave related but I have just come back from a climbing session with:

Petzl Corax harness
Boreal Joker (velcro) climbing shoes
Black Diamond ATC XP belay device
Black Diamond Airlock carabiner

Yeah, yeah, mid-life crisis and all that.

This week's haul: 6 sticks of Arko (plus a gratis pack of Shark blades)

IMAG0895.jpg

A 4/8" Taylors Easy Shaver from eBay that cleaned up beautifully and honed up a treat using the Unicot Method on my Belgian Coticule.

Before:
IMAG0904.jpg
IMAG0905.jpg
IMAG0906.jpg

After:
IMAG0917.jpg
IMAG0918.jpg
IMAG0915.jpg

Just in through FedEx, all the way from "...Kenneth Way, Wilstead Industrial Park, Bedford..." :? :roll:

Acq_29Apr.jpg

Acq_29Apr001Medium.jpg

Acq_29Apr002Medium.jpg

:eek: :eek: :shock:

Acq_29Apr003Medium.jpg

You can't avoid loving the design of these bottles...

Acq_29Apr004.jpg

[Brummels of London - thank you for the excellent service]

Impressions and more pics from tomorrow in my SOTDs as usual ;)

simmo3801 said:
A Meuhle R89 from Executive Shaving, 1st trial tomorrow with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow

I'll be keen to hear what you think of the Mühle, I am trying to choose between that and the EJ89 barley chrome handled razor for my next purchase.

Ainslie

cubert said:
Pinaud moustache wax and comb £1.70 from the bay.

Any good?

I haven't read many good reviews. Most "handlebar people" use Oregon or Firehouse.

I use Bounder and it is the mutts' nuts.

Back
Top Bottom