Acqua di Parma !!!!

Hi

I have read loads of rave reviews on this stuff (Colonia) and had the chance to try some in John Lewis this week and I must say I was so dissapointed.

First impressions were good - crisp, fresh and citrus but after a short while the fragrance changed dramatically into something not very nice. Perhaps it's my skin, but I notice that Arrowhead & Frederick appear to be regular users. Any comments guys ?

One of my favorites is CD Eau Savage. Perhaps I should just stay with it rather than keep seeking.

Regards
Vince :roll:

I had a similar experience with Acqua di Parma Colonia, It smelt great for the first hour or so that It was on. I generally love the "classic" cologne scent (Villoresi, Roger & Gallet, 4711 etc) but the florals in Colonia didn't work well with my skin and to me it ended up smelling like rotting roses. So taking into account the price of Colonia, I left it be.

There are loads of cheap alternatives and expensive ones too when it comes to Eau de Cologne scents. You can get 400ml Ead de Cologne from Boots (own brand) for about £4, 4711 is available in boots too and it about £10-£15 for 100ml (i think). Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina is all over the web and if you search it our you can find some excellent prices. If you fancy something equally designer as CD Eau Savage then you could try Armani Eau pour homme, or Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale.

Sunny days are on their way and nothing compliments them so well as a liberal spraying (or splashing) of Eau de Cologne.

It is true that the scent of AdP classic colonia turns quite powdery after a few hours. Personally, in warm weather, I rahter like this, but only a few days a month. It can become too much. For citrus scents, I mostly rely on Taylor Victorian Limes, which is just crisp, clean limes without much evolution throughout the day.

Always keep stocked on this one, works for me.

As Andy points out, there’s a fair few out there that are of the same type. What I would say though is next time you pass John Lewis, pop in and try the Assoluta version of colonia.

Keep a close eye on their web site as well, as if any of what they call their competition (everyone basically) have sales they will usually match or beat the discount price.

Did you have a look at their shaving goods in that range while you were there :?:

It's the Assoluta version which I use, and it's comfortably my favourite. Nonetheless, it's not for everyday, maybe once a week. I agree with Frederick about the powderiness, which I actively like - the scent seems to go through a few different phases before it fades. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this was David Niven's favourite scent, and Audrey Hepburn's - make of that what you will.

I'm quite keen on Musgo Real No.3 at the moment, a much deeper, woodsy-spicy affair, and then there's Ollie's recommendation, Cella Classica which I just can't make up my mind about, it seems to have a burnt rubber note to it which may or may not be rather unpleasant.

Nice stuff.

Had the Colonia and Intensa (a completely different scent) colognes - liked the original more . . . might be the rose in it as I like rose scents.

The cream is very expensive (on a par with Blenheim Bouquet) but as a 'special occaision cream I could live with the cost.

Never been one for fancy aftershaves though - they're gone too quickly so wouldn't buy it.

I love Colonia - so subtle, but fresh and captivating. I could wear it every day, if I could afford it - one spray is enough, and the fading of the scent I really like - at the end of the day, I still catch a whiff of fresh laundry smell. Its a fragrance that evolves and changes. I would also say to those of you who don't like a particular smell in its evolution to ask for other people's opinion. Sometimes our sense of smell becomes attenuated, but to others any perfume can smell fantastic still.

I use two aqua di Parma alternatives

Bronnley original edt!( usually on amazon)
Penhaligons Castile

One of those costs about £12 one doesn't :) but both are good

The Colonia version is a favourite of mine and one I always replace when it's empty. One of SWMBO's favourites on me too. Nice fresh scent, and one which lasts all day. I have had the other versions and they are very good, but I always come back to this one.

I love the summer heat of Colonia Intensa but find regular Colonia too 'polite' and inoffensive.
These are expensive frags but a little goes a long, long way.

They sell the 4711 in Boots but it smells like a girls perfume?? can it be unisex? this is 4711 Eu de Cologne. is the aftershave splash sold in Connaught bit different? otherwise it smells like women perfume, sorry

Re: RE: Acqua di Parma !!!!

Sezer74 said:
They sell the 4711 in Boots but it smells like a girls perfume?? can it be unisex? this is 4711 Eu de Cologne. is the aftershave splash sold in Connaught bit different? otherwise it smells like women perfume, sorry

My Nan used to swear by it. ;)

It is a unisex scent. It's not my normal sort of thing - very floral and fades quickly -but surprisingly there's something about the range of smells in there that appeals to me. My mum insists on rubbing it on the temples to cure headaches but no idea if that works!

I assumed we were talking about the most ubiquitous one: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120030.html
It's not woody or dark but it's supposed to be a fresh summer scent, and one of the first (if that isn't a contradiction in terms).

Back
Top Bottom