Above The Tie Slants

I see that ATT are now offering closed and open comb slants in various permutations (handles plus heads, open and closed baseplates plus cap).

They are on ATT's website, but don't appear to be in stock with any UK suppliers,

Not being a fan of the Italian Barber Stealth "Dance of the Seven Veils" to buy one of theirs, and in advance of the Maggard becoming available, I thought I might go for an ATT combo.

They seem to have good reviews in the US forums. Has anyone here got one?

I don't have their slant (yet?) but sold all my other razors since getting an ATT M2. It is the only razor I own and use it daily. Beautiful piece of kit, great shave and a wonderful tool to use.

I am also interested to hear anyone's experience with the slant.

Ben88 said:
Just got the M2 Kronos and have emailed Stan about shipping me an open comb slant head. They seem to be getting good reviews over the pond.

I'm a slant fan anyway (Ikons and Shavecraft 102) , and I've got an M1 Atlas, which I really like. I'd expect the ATT slants to be just as good.

Short of a miracle or two, I don't think I'll be receiving my self-arranged Christmas presents in time this year (a Mongoose and the Kickstarter Rockwell) so I need something else to cheer myself up in the New Year. I think I'll just "go for it" with the ATT.

I've been seriously impressed with everything I've had from ATT and fully intend to buy their slant head(s). They've had excellent reviews, which doesn't surprise me.

Decision is whether to go for the open or closed comb version. Maybe both as buying as a set is cheaper and by the time you've factored in shipping, customs and customs "pick-up" charge I'm thinking I might as well do it all in one purchase rather than regretting and having to purchase the other slant baseplate afterwards.

They're by no means cheap but I'm considering them a combined Xmas and birthday present to myself and having already bought the R1 and R2 I consider them worth every penny.

Now the decision is when to pull the trigger. I was thinking after Xmas when all the posting frenzy has died down. On their website there used to be a week waiting for availability but that now seems to have disappeared.

I will be buying one. Worked my way through all 6 standard heads and all I have left is the M2 and R2, the latter I don't use as the M2 is perfect for me.

I have used my ATT S1 slant a half dozen times, and I'm very pleased with it. I have gotten wonderful shaves with very little need to do the "touch ups" that are so necessary with conventional DE razors. The technique is the same as a standard DE, but requires a little adjustment as does any new razor.
One thing I'm discovering is that the blades seem to dull more quickly than with non-slant razors. I'm accustomed to getting 4+ shaves from an Astra SP blade, but I find the slant starts to drag a little on the third shave.
Not a complaint, really. I'm happy to swap blade life for shave comfort/closeness, but I find it a bit strange - I'd have thought it might increase blade life because of the angled shearing effect of a slant. Again, not a problem, but I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has found a similar effect with their slant razors.
(just got my iKon 102 - I'll try it and post some thoughts)
~

PotatoRazor - Thanks for the info.

Years ago (as in 40 plus), I used to try to get maximum life out of a blade. That was partly through reasons of economy and budget, but also because the range of blades available in tbe UK wasnt that great. They might have been (or some were) sharper and longer-lasting than many today, but I rather think that the price against income then was quite high.

Nowadays, I generally change a blade and razor every three days (shaving daily). If I use one longer, it's generally because I forgot when I started it. I can't therefore say that I've noticed any earlier run-out in slants.

PotatoRazor said:
I have used my ATT S1 slant a half dozen times, and I'm very pleased with it. I have gotten wonderful shaves with very little need to do the "touch ups" that are so necessary with conventional DE razors. The technique is the same as a standard DE, but requires a little adjustment as does any new razor.
One thing I'm discovering is that the blades seem to dull more quickly than with non-slant razors. I'm accustomed to getting 4+ shaves from an Astra SP blade, but I find the slant starts to drag a little on the third shave.
Not a complaint, really. I'm happy to swap blade life for shave comfort/closeness, but I find it a bit strange - I'd have thought it might increase blade life because of the angled shearing effect of a slant. Again, not a problem, but I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has found a similar effect with their slant razors.
(just got my iKon 102 - I'll try it and post some thoughts)
~

This is often reported on forums by slant users. I cant say I've noticed any decreased performance but never take a blade past 3 shaves anyhow.

My Above The Tie SB/OC Slant Combo turned up today from the States.

As with all ATT products, it comes handsomely-packaged. The precision and high-quality finish of all three parts is truly magnificent.

I plan to give it an outing in the next couple of days, and will report back on my impressions, after I've had a chance to use both bases.

A couple of photographs as a taster.

[attachment=12618]
[attachment=12619]

Attachments

• ATT_Slants_0001.JPG
    ATT_Slants_0001.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ATT_Slants_0002.JPG
    ATT_Slants_0002.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 92
fancontroller said:
Nicely. How long did it take from when you ordered? Did you swerve customs charge?
I ordered mine a few days ago, so am patiently waiting now.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you've had a go.

Shave on...

Ordered and paid for 22/12, and despatched from ATT that same day. It helps that the USPS tracking system is very efficient.

Bit like Christmas and birthday coming all at once, as my longstanding order for SE Mongoose arrived yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom