Above the Tie SE1 - First Impressions...

RCH

I have recently acquired the ATT SE1 through the BST forums here and have been using it for the past week. This is my first SE razor so I wasn't sure what to expect - I thought that I would put a few things in a post on the off chance that it may be useful for someone who is debating trying one. Obviously all of this is just my opinion and other experiences will differ! I have never written a review before so please be nice…

A little about me - I have been DE shaving for about 8/9 years now and have mostly been using a Muhle R89 Grande as my daily razor (with MWF in a mug). Really there was no need for me to look for a replacement as it's a great razor but I fancied a change - ideally something that gave a closer shave with a bit less work.

Having run out of my stash of the old Super Iridium blades, I found myself back on TSR reading up on blades, soaps (big fan of the SV soaps) and razors and it has lead to a bit of spending!

Other razors I have tried in the past are:

The Muhle R41 (2013) - I have come back to this one a few times but never stick with it as I just find it too harsh for everyday use.
An ATT R1 - recently bought on the BST forums and with a GSB blade I find this gives a great shave.
Straights - last used a few years ago! I love the idea and the shave is amazingly close but just not practical first thing in the morning. I stopped enjoying them in the end.

I have been debating an SE and when the ATT SE1 came up on the BST I couldn't resist - having read that some people consider SE razors to sit somewhere between a DE and a Straight I was intrigued.

- - - - - -

I have paired the SE1 head with a Colossus handle (taken from my R1), which is heavy but I like the feel of it - for me it balances well. I have added a few pictures at the end showing the SE razor and handle and then have put an R1 with a Kronos handle next to it for comparison. The Kronos feels a little small in the hand for me but perhaps it's just not what I'm used to.

For the choice of blade I went with the Kai Titan Mild Pink - having read other opinions this sounded like a good one to start with, the Feathers (and others) being an option later.

On to the shave…
The short summary is that I can't believe how easy this razor/blade combination is to use - exceptionally smooth and very efficient!

I generally look to do 2 passes WTG and then XTG - then touch ups usually under my chin/jaw as (that's) a bit awkward. (ATG just doesn't work for me and my skin never thanks me for trying). This has given me a great result - not BBS but very close to it. Certainly good enough for a daily shave.

The blade doesn't really feel that exposed to me and whilst you can definitely hear it cutting I don't get that feel of ‘blade on face' in the way that I had with the R1 (and too much so with the R41). The cutting sound is a little more muted compared to the 'ping' you get with the R1.

I had no trouble with a few days growth after the weekend and there was no tugging with the blade at all. With DE blades, I find a lot of blades tug on my top lip and chin as that hair is a little more coarse - GSB, Kai and Feathers are ok, Astras definitely aren't. By comparison, the SE1/Kai Pink is effortless and much more pleasant to use. I have now had 6 shaves with the original blade and haven't noticed a drop off in ‘finish' - not sure how many more to expect but I'm really impressed so far. I seem to be finding that the shave ‘lasts' a bit longer than the result I was getting with the ATT R1 DE - somehow it just feels smoother and closer for the same effort.

- - - - - -

To finish, I really can't recommend this razor enough - if you are on the fence then definitely give it a go. Yes, it's on the expensive side but I see this as my daily choice of razor for a very long time to come and absolutely worth the cost - it's incredibly easy to use and gives a really close comfortable shave.

If you got this far, thanks for reading!

IMG_2285.jpg IMG_2286.jpg IMG_2287.jpg

I have recently acquired the ATT SE1 through the BST forums here and have been using it for the past week. This is my first SE razor so I wasn't sure what to expect - I thought that I would put a few things in a post on the off chance that it may be useful for someone who is debating trying one. Obviously all of this is just my opinion and other experiences will differ! I have never written a review before so please be nice…

A little about me - I have been DE shaving for about 8/9 years now and have mostly been using a Muhle R89 Grande as my daily razor (with MWF in a mug). Really there was no need for me to look for a replacement as it's a great razor but I fancied a change - ideally something that gave a closer shave with a bit less work.

Having run out of my stash of the old Super Iridium blades, I found myself back on TSR reading up on blades, soaps (big fan of the SV soaps) and razors and it has lead to a bit of spending!

The Muhle R41 (2013) - I have come back to this one a few times but never stick with it as I just find it too harsh for everyday use.
An ATT R1 - recently bought on the BST forums and with a GSB blade I find this gives a great shave.
Straights - last used a few years ago! I love the idea and the shave is amazingly close but just not practical first thing in the morning. I stopped enjoying them in the end.

I have been debating an SE and when the ATT SE1 came up on the BST I couldn't resist - having read that some people consider SE razors to sit somewhere between a DE and a Straight I was intrigued.

- - - - - -

I have paired the SE1 head with a Colossus handle (taken from my R1), which is heavy but I like the feel of it - for me it balances well. I have added a few pictures at the end showing the SE razor and handle and then have put an R1 with a Kronos handle next to it for comparison. The Kronos feels a little small in the hand for me but perhaps it's just not what I'm used to.

For the choice of blade I went with the Kai Titan Mild Pink - having read other opinions this sounded like a good one to start with, the Feathers (and others) being an option later.

On to the shave…
The short summary is that I can't believe how easy this razor/blade combination is to use - exceptionally smooth and very efficient!

I generally look to do 2 passes WTG and then XTG - then touch ups usually under my chin/jaw as (that's) a bit awkward. (ATG just doesn't work for me and my skin never thanks me for trying). This has given me a great result - not BBS but very close to it. Certainly good enough for a daily shave.

The blade doesn't really feel that exposed to me and whilst you can definitely hear it cutting I don't get that feel of ‘blade on face' in the way that I had with the R1 (and too much so with the R41). The cutting sound is a little more muted compared to the 'ping' you get with the R1.

I had no trouble with a few days growth after the weekend and there was no tugging with the blade at all. With DE blades, I find a lot of blades tug on my top lip and chin as that hair is a little more coarse - GSB, Kai and Feathers are ok, Astras definitely aren't. By comparison, the SE1/Kai Pink is effortless and much more pleasant to use. I have now had 6 shaves with the original blade and haven't noticed a drop off in ‘finish' - not sure how many more to expect but I'm really impressed so far. I seem to be finding that the shave ‘lasts' a bit longer than the result I was getting with the ATT R1 DE - somehow it just feels smoother and closer for the same effort.

- - - - - -

To finish, I really can't recommend this razor enough - if you are on the fence then definitely give it a go. Yes, it's on the expensive side but I see this as my daily choice of razor for a very long time to come and absolutely worth the cost - it's incredibly easy to use and gives a really close comfortable shave.

View attachment 28309 View attachment 28310 View attachment 28311

- - - - - -

On to the shave…

- - - - - -

The review is excellent, and I am considering buying the above razor. I just was not sure of the advantages over a de one. I currently use a Edwin Jagger .Are the blade u use readily available.Roy

Hi Roy - thanks for the compliment!

I think that in all honesty, you could achieve a similar result using a DE razor but perhaps with a bit more work or a more aggressive razor. However, I have found (in the brief time I have had with it), that the process of actually shaving with the SE1 has been really enjoyable and an improvement over the DE razors that I have experience of.

The feel of the blade on the face is really 'misleading' in that it's really smooth but doing a lot more than you realise. For me that results in a great shave but without the potential irritation of an equivalent finish with my DEs.

The review is excellent, and I am considering buying the above razor. I just was not sure of the advantages over a de one. I currently use a Edwin Jagger .Are the blade u use readily available.Roy
Hi Roy - I forgot to address your question about the blades: The ones I have are from the Shave Lounge (no affiliation I just like the shop and the service) but you can get suitable blades from most shaving sites on the internet I would have thought.

- - - - - -

On to the shave…

- - - - - -

Glad you like the SE1, it's a great shaver !!!

Enjoyed your review ;)

Reactions: RCH
A great review on ATTse1. Whilst on this subject, has anyone used the Claymore offered hy Executive Shaving?

I have an Ikon El Jefe, ATT SE2, and a V2 Claymore. Like all of them far better than my DE razors. The Claymore is becoming my favorite SE but think it is hard to beat the El Jefe as regards value for money. If I had to cut down to having just one razor think it would be the Claymore as it is so easy to load and the extra heft is great.

Micheal

Great review, thanks.

I first started SE shaving with an ATT SE1 earlier this year - great results also with the Kai pink mild.

I don't know why but my ATT SE is now my go to razor. I say don't know why, because I love my DE razors and shaving with them.

I find SE shaving slightly more efficient with less irretarion. YMMV .

Back
Top Bottom