About time...

Srdjan,
Welcome to TSR. You have a fine collection of razors but I'm particularly envious of the adjustables. A great idea to pass them to your sons eventually - of course they'll want them.

Interesting to read your experiences with hollow ground cut throats on longer flights. I'd think twice about buying from the US if they can be so affected in transit.

Regards,
Chris

Hello Chris, sorry it took a while to respond, this has been a crazy week at work!

No problem with ordering from the States, especially if the razors are not shaving :) The chips I'm talking about happened on shave ready blades and they are not visible to the naked eye that easily... Micro-chips will affect the shave, cause irritation and general discomfort. They are honed out easily, but it's an unnecessary exercise and I like to save steel on my extra hollows, which is why I don't carry them anymore. I think it's better taking a harder piece of steel, maybe a heavier grind.. I never had this happen with my Japanese straights, or a heavy Joseph Elliot near wedge, I used to own. Who knows.. It's a strange thing really, I've read about similar experiences and although I cannot prove it, nowdays I'd rather not take the risk.

No reason to be envious of the adjustables by the way.. They can be had for relatively cheap. They are much cheaper than some of the other razors I own and quite frankly, I am not impressed by the slim adjustable. The Fatboy is a different story. It's the weight and the handling that makes all the difference for me.

Thank you for the warm welcome! @chrisbd

Hello Chris, sorry it took a while to respond, this has been a crazy week at work!

No problem with ordering from the States, especially if the razors are not shaving :) The chips I'm talking about happened on shave ready blades and they are not visible to the naked eye that easily... Micro-chips will affect the shave, cause irritation and general discomfort. They are honed out easily, but it's an unnecessary exercise and I like to save steel on my extra hollows, which is why I don't carry them anymore. I think it's better taking a harder piece of steel, maybe a heavier grind.. I never had this happen with my Japanese straights, or a heavy Joseph Elliot near wedge, I used to own. Who knows.. It's a strange thing really, I've read about similar experiences and although I cannot prove it, nowdays I'd rather not take the risk.

No reason to be envious of the adjustables by the way.. They can be had for relatively cheap. They are much cheaper than some of the other razors I own and quite frankly, I am not impressed by the slim adjustable. The Fatboy is a different story. It's the weight and the handling that makes all the difference for me.

Thank you for the warm welcome! @chrisbd

Srdjan,
Reassuring, thanks, but I'd still be wary of buying shave ready straightedge from the US and I'm curious as to the cause of the damage. Still, that's some way away for me yet.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "cheap" as far as adjustables are concerned but the Fatboys especially carry a hefty price tag via the likes of Ebay, at least in the UK, largely due to expensive postage from the US.

I was personally impressed with the performance of the Slim but haven't tried the Fatboy yet. Everyone has their preference, it's a shame there aren't more Fatboys to satisfy demand.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom