A shaver from the country that brought you tobacco, blues, and Gillette razors

Hi folks, I've been a wet shaver for about a year now and I have technically been a member here for some months, but I have been lurking in the shadows until now. Lately I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum that I have wanted to reply to, so I have decided to finally come out and join in on the discussion in a proper way.

I am originally from Michigan, but have been living in San Antonio, Texas for the last few years. I started wet shaving because I was tired of paying $30 for a pack of cartridges, but kept with it because of the unbreakable allure of the traditional shaving world. I have a variety of DE razors, straight razors, and disposable blade straight razors and enjoy them all. I look forward to contributing to and learning from you fine folks.

Jabberwock said:
I am originally from Michigan, but have been living in San Antonio, Texas for the last few years.

Howdee pardner (said in my best Sam Elliot voice),

Ahh, San Antonio in the summertime. Heh, pretty damn brutal hot and humid weather......even crappier than Chicago. I spent 6 weeks at lovely Lackland years ago and being outside was funky.

So you will be amazed at how polite these Limeys and other foreign types are. Lord knows I have tried, but they just will not get upset when insulted or wronged. Feel free to address em as 'shitferbrains'.

The way they talk is pretty amusing and even somewhat charming in a Third World sorta way. I truly believe many of the things they say are really some kinda code....one that a Yankee isn't allowed to know about.

Oh yeah........wanna hear something really funny? These members post about what they think is good stuff to eat. You will love reading about that. Me and Johnus and a few other Yankers will send messages to each other.......laughing our asses off about their culinary habits.

Now if you really wanna impress these foreign guys, tell em you live in the same city where The Alamo is located. Now THAT is one hell of a story. Heh, I bet lots of guys here think Davy Crockett is a made up Disney character. As you know, in reality he died in San Antonio, along with Jim Bowie (Bowie knife) and many others.

Martin

Here you go guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVN_n0PljQ

Oh, I know it's not needed to be typed, but certainly no offense was meant in this post. (Hah, see that new guy? That's all you gotta do and they don't hate you anymore than they did before.) Did I mention the xenophobia is outta control here? Yeah, there's that too.

Unlike Dodgy, I've never visited San Antonio, but I've been to Michigan often enough so I guess you made the right move. You also made the right move in joining TSR - so welcome - and take no notice of the noisy yank - no-one over here does.

Heh, yes Texas in the summer is crazy hot, especially for some one from Michigan. I've lived in over 30 different cities all over the world and I'm always happier in the southern United States than anywhere else...no snow, no ice, no crazy snow plow drivers.

I have yet to visit the Alamo, but that's not unusual for me. When I lived in D.C. it took me two years to visit any monuments and even then I had to be dragged to them.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of English "cuisine" I'm more of a Greek and Middle Eastern food kind of guy. Michigan has the largest Arabic population in the world outside of the middle east, so getting kebabs, tabouleh, and gyros was a lot easier than it is down here... maybe the folks on this fine forum can give me some advice as to English foods that I might actually like.

Hi and welcome to TSR

English foods? - locally the kinds of take away we get are Chinese, Indian, pizzas and kebabs- burgers from MacDonalds and Burger King, with the occasional good old british fish and chip shop - treated my daughter to a meal on Saturday night - Italian!

Although I am, born and bred in Norfolk (england)and have lived here all my life I think that there seem to be few truly English foods around - I suppose the good old Sunday roast is about as English as it gets, and of course from North Norfolk the good old Cromer crab and Samphire - but the edges of regional cooking are getting very blurred these days!!

Simon

I lived in Austin, TX for a couple of years about twenty years ago. I always knew when it was time to go back to England. As soon as I thought that I might fancy a glass of iced tea it was time to go!

I did, however, gain a liking of Southern BBQ at Poke-E-Joe's Barbecue Pit. Their brisket is still second to none. All I can get now is Carolina BBQ when I visit my office in Morrisville!

Mind you, I'd still rather live here than anywhere else in the world!

David

Back
Top Bottom