A Right Lefty

OK lets see I can make this make sense :oops:

kropp straight, help in right hand, have found a nice comfy stance with it.
Pull cheek tight with left hand and using about a 30 degree angle go down the cheek, using small light strokes.
bend head upwards to tighten neck and carry on short strokes heading down the neck.

Now for the left, I have read somewhere that use the right hand on the right side of the face, and the left on the left, well I cant even seem to get the blades edge to touch my skin using my left hand.

Using the right hand I repeat the right side on the left.
Both cheecks and sides of neck done, then do upper lip and chin, followed by centre of neck - Struggle round the mouth but its getting better.

OK so this is all done but I want a second pass but this time I go backwards

Left cheek first with wight hand then right cheek with right hand.

This pass is a cross between XTG and ATG, all starts well, left cheek and neck end up BBS, progress to the right side and ok I get it BBS but EVERY TIME I seem to get a cut, OK not deep and not scaring but they are there, its more annoying than a pain but I dont like it :(

Can anyone suggest anything I can try apart from the obvious of NOT doing a second pass.

I have resigned myself to 1st pass with the straight, then second with my adjustable

:oops:

try this..never fails:

Stretch Left..shave right
Stretch Right..Shave left
Pull down...shave upward
pull upward...shave downward
If the chin area gets annoying to remove stubble..pull down under the chin and go from there..pitts of the chin..awful spot for me on the right side..leftside much easier..pull upward

Happy shaving!

First: it would be better to use the left hand - it takes a couple of weeks and it seems impossible at first, but it´ll be worth it. It maybe´ll take care of your problem too ... if I got it right. When you go ATG/XTG on the left side you should use your right hand and hold the razor so the thumb nail should be inwards "facing" against the neck :)D) and on the right side it should be reverse (using the left hand with that thumb nail in the same direction).

I'm a right hand only shaver. Being ambidextrous would be nice but it just isn't going to happen, in the same way that it's far too late for me to start touch typing - too much to unlearn. I'd suggest that you force yourself to use the left hand before it's too late, but failing that it's just practice.

Cuts are caused from two reasons. The blade moves edge forward, ie, opposite of the right direction. Or the angle is too steep or too much pressure is used, whatever the cause, the blade is basically pushed into your skin.
The only true remedy is to get better with the straight razor. Practice on something other than your face. The air, your arm, a tomato. Otherwise, I suppose you could just keep using the styptic stick, but it seems kind of a painful way to learn.
I also echo previous comments about learning to shave with the left hand. Extremely worthwhile, but hard to accomplish. Same advice, practice on something less painful and prone to bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom