A P Donovan?

Was having a look for something on Executive shaving and noticed these being sold. It says they're Japanese steel put together in Germany. Not that I'm thinking of buying one, but I've a few Japanese(western style) razors which I do like a great deal and I like to know whats worthwhile, and whats not in case they start being moved on. I've seen Chinese made razors being assembled in Germany which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, are these something similar I wondered?

This is a stunning cut throat razor that comes to you in a handmade wooden case.
The highly polished, blade is made from high grade Japanese tempered steel.
The blade has a mirror finish and a gold plating etch wash with the wording - 'A.P. Donovan'.
The scales are handmade from black coloured Indian Sandalwood and stainless steel.
Inlaid into the scales is a shield emblem with 'A.P Donovan' stamped on it.
The scales also benefit from a stainless steel bottom cap and internal sleeves. The inclusion of steel on the handle gives the razor required balance between the blade and the handle.

This is the sales pitch, and these are being sold for £99, for this price you can get a razor from Revisor, Aust and a few more which you know are fit for purpose. My point being, Executive shaving are advertising on this site(albeit paid), therefore anyone seeing this ad for supposedly knowledgable shavers is more likely to believe they are buying a creditable product. Or am I being naive in giving a toss?:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Thanks Jamie, looks about the same as the chinese RenRen ones for £3.50 delivered. I think anyone paying their hard earned £99, or the £103 on the bottom of the page in your link will get a lovely laquered box with their letter opener though:D

http://imgur.com/1Mojo0M

Sorry gents but this is my new shave ready Spartacus.

Four shaves up to now without any problem. It's a gift from my wife she doesn't now the different of shave ready or not. She gust enter in the shop and buy it.

Any way my opinion is that, with a new sr you just need to open a little more the angle and it will shave perfectly.

There is a Common Misconception that Current SRs are Shave Ready from the Factory..They are NOT..That's the Bottom Line..There isn't a Current SR from the Factory that Cant be Improved on the Hone..Most Need Honed from Scratch on the 1 K Bevel Hone..The Revisor Seems to be an Exception Although I Have Never Honed One..o_O

One of the Issues that I See is that New Folks Buying a New SR Wont have Anything to Compare them To..Also..There are Very Few Vendors in the UK at Least that Hone them Properly or Even Hone them at All before Sending them Out Regardless of What they Claim on their Websites..:D

Billy

Last edited:
There is a Common Misconception that Current SRs are Shave Ready from the Factory..They are NOT..That's the Bottom Line..There isn't a Current SR from the Factory that Cant be Improved on the Hone..Most Need Honed from Scratch on the 1 K Bevel Hone..The Revisor Seems to be an Exception Although I Have Never Honed One..o_O

One of the Issues that I See is that New Folks Buying a New SR Wont have Anything to Compare them To..Also..There are Very Few Vendors in the UK at Least that Hone them Properly or Even Hone them at All before Sending them Out Regardless of What they Claim on their Websites..:D

Billy

Dear Mr. Fergiebilly I will agree 100% that a factory hone razor can be improve. But you can't disagree I have a new shave ready razor. Because I shave with it 5 times WTG, ETG, ATG, without any problem. With all due respect I poses 13 SR I hone them myself and I can understand the deferent.
thanks in advance.

http://imgur.com/1Mojo0M

Sorry gents but this is my new shave ready Spartacus.

Four shaves up to now without any problem. It's a gift from my wife she doesn't now the different of shave ready or not. She gust enter in the shop and buy it.

Any way my opinion is that, with a new sr you just need to open a little more the angle and it will shave perfectly.

Where did you buy the razor from if you don't mind me asking.

Back
Top Bottom