A Couple of Handles (Not for Forks…)

Smelly dog, smelly dog, what are they feeding you?!
Jock’s favourite thing in all the world is drinking unobserved from the den of filth that is muddy puddles so he constantly needs worming. We call it ‘wet-bearding’, as the tell tale signs are obvious - a manky, black/brown, dripping wet beard and a tail perennially tucked between his legs. The little ‘Great Escaper’ should have been named Hilts!

No assistance from a lathe as I don't have one nor have ever used one..:

Again, that's unreal!

Aye, this is very true. Our native woods are grossly misrepresented and overlooked. Even the plainest bit of Oak will show you contrasting grain in growth rings and medullary rays plus it’s hard and highly rot resistant even without treatment. For example: an untreated Yew fence post will outlast a pressure and chemical treated redwood pine post several times over and untreated Oak should at least match it.
That said, I do have some exotics in the shed which I was gifted by a friend after his mother and one of my very dearest friends passed away in 2019. Her late husband was a wood turner and his son often brought him blanks back from his travels. Sometimes, I will use scavenged wood that is thrown out, destined for landfill or the bonfire. That Oak was leftovers from a furniture maker at the end of our lane. Too small an offcut to be of any use to him but wooden gold to me…

It's nothing against exotic woods in the slightest bit, but domestic woods can produce some specimens of great beauty. I think there sometimes can be a attitude of overlooking great things from the British Isles be it food/ingredients, products and so on, it seems a shame at times.

The medullary rays in the straight grain quartersawn oak look unreal btw. Oak can produce a few stunners now and again, there was a guitar maker I used to follow who used to use it (very few do) but he retired. A friend of mine had a guitar with some Yew, it was a stunner and sounded immense!

Sorry about your loss of your friend.

Updated logos:
49DED4F2-2687-4E01-A034-4455065B770C.jpeg

Banner style:
A53F85C6-DD25-42CB-946B-175556E6CA16.jpeg

Profile:
1C14109D-F061-4ADF-8ECA-D596B40171C1.jpeg
Hope you like them. I have set up a Facebook page and an Instagram one too. It’ll never be a huge business as I’m just one fella with a knife, axe, lots of wood and passion. I hope you don’t think this is advertising as I’m just really after opinions on the logos. I wanted to creat something rustic and earthy yet professional and eye catching. Maybes aye, maybes naw?

Thanks for everyone’s kind comments.

My best,
Graeme

I like the top one best.
How do you think it would look with the grain coloured the same as the number backgound, keeping the White and coloured circle surrounds?
I’ve tried that and the grain gets lost against the olive background. I will use all three logos depending on where they need to go. Thank you, all opinions are very welcome indeed!

Best,
Graeme

Back
Top Bottom