A cautionary tale

BSA

I had one of ikons earlier razors , a long handled open combed beauty. It was a bit of a hand full, quite aggressive,it demanded respect and whilst I really enjoyed this razor I felt that a slightly less aggressive head would suite me better.

I contacted Greg to enquire if a replacement cap could be purchased to calm things down a little. He kindly replied that all ikon carry a life time guarantee and if I returned it to him he would replace the complete head . Well, to say I was pleased is an understatement. So I packaged the head and sent it off the very same day...................life is sweet .

Well here is the cautionary bit . It has not arrived at ikon after a month plus. I did not have insurance for it nor any sort of documentation. Completely my own doing no one else to blame, but am I gutted ! I'm not really a insurance type of person but may well be more careful in the future.

So my fellow scrappers next time you dispatch a beloved item.... THINK . Compensation can't bring back an old friend ....but can help to heap the coals on RAD :twisted:

As far as valuable / important items and Royal mail are concerned i take every precaution possible.
Given the number of parcels sent and received i guess the the failure rate is low - but sods law dictates the first to go missing will be important or valuable.

On personal experience this last year ive had 2 parcels fail to arrive, both met with vague shrugs of indifference from RM - luckily both items were either insured or vendors refunded payment.

HM is the expert on this and i think it's gone up as every time i post something now they ask me if it's worth more than 40 something

Just sent off a shaving related parcel this morning & I was asked;
1) Is it valued at more than £41.
2) Do you want gauranteed delivery by 1.00pm tomorrow. (Extra £4 odds.)
3) Could I just ask, would you wish any 'phone top ups, travel money or stamps.

So I'm guessing that the £41 will be the "flat rate" maximum.

JohnnyO. :geek:

If you go to the PO and mail the item and ask for "proof of posting" which is free, this cover you for up to the value of 100 first class stamps. To claim it does take a while, you need to wait weeks and they send a letter to the receiving party to confirm non delivery and value, then they cough up.

Anything more than that using Special Delivery gives you £50 and other methods give you varying levels of cover but additional values can be added to Special and other delivery methods to cover you up to £2500. Sending something abroad again there are various methids like Airsure and others, all of which carry some implicit insurance but you need to tell them the value and chack that the method cover the value if the item.

This does not cover you for printing your own postage, (except some business accounts) the only way to get free proof of postage or any additional insurance on international is to go and post it in PO.

Audiolab said:
If you go to the PO and mail the item and ask for "proof of posting" which is free, this cover you for up to the value of 100 first class stamps. To claim it does take a while, you need to wait weeks and they send a letter to the receiving party to confirm non delivery and value, then they cough up.

Anything more than that using Special Delivery gives you £50 and other methods give you varying levels of cover but additional values can be added to Special and other delivery methods to cover you up to £2500. Sending something abroad again there are various methids like Airsure and others, all of which carry some implicit insurance but you need to tell them the value and chack that the method cover the value if the item.

This does not cover you for printing your own postage, (except some business accounts) the only way to get free proof of postage or any additional insurance on international is to go and post it in PO.

That's the form... relies on you having proof of posting though and they usually cough within 3 months.

That said, for post to exotic locations (including Spain) the postal services at the far end are less than stellar in performance and it still might land at destination yet.

So I did not bad HM? See I did listen..... :lol:

I have all the guides in hard and soft copy and have taken some time to familarise myself with the policies. This was because of a similar reason to the OP, I got stung and thought bugger that will make sure that won't happen to me again. I am sure you have been the same.

Worth a sticky or a wiki? UK posting regs and links to compensation policies?? Naa we are too lazy for that.

There's no better place to start than Royal Mail’s Claims Process for Loss, Damage & Delay - they put a number of hoops in your way and if they initially offer a derisory settlement, feel free to return it along with realistic reasons why it's not an acceptable restitution - a polite (but firm) letter goes a very long way. Don't forget to add the cost of the letter back to them to your restitution proposal of course.

Back
Top Bottom