A brush for face lathering

I have an Eagle 2 in pure that i use for when i face lather it's still a little scritchy but it's not fully broken in im not a big face latherer so it hasn't had much use but with a 45mm loft it has plenty of backbone which for me makes it's suitable for face lathering....

I have a bodger, a pure badger and a silvertip. By far I prefer the Vulfix 404 boar / badger for face lathering. For myself I feel that the backbone of this brush is ideal for face lathering although I must admit the knot could be more dense, however at less than £10 I can hardly complain.

I use like travel brush this small Semogue 1335:

images

Here you can see it fully broken after many uses:

2irqic1.jpg

and I love it! It has a 20x50mm. knot with firm backbone but soft tips once broken. Perfect for soaps and facelathering, and is really cheap (less than 10 euros). The only con is that like other painted wood Semogue handles it tends to loose paint. Some people said that an extra varnish layer solves this issue, although.

Cheers!

Don't see any of you recommending a good 6$ Turkish Horse. Now that's back bone! Even stranger, they're not that bad!:)-)

In my opinion, silvertip with a dense knot and short loft is the epitomy of face lathering in luxury.

Right now I'm really enjoying a Wet Shaving Products silvertip with a 48mm loft. The brush makes short work of hard soaps and makes face lathering ridiculously easy. I can just paint the lather on as you would with bowl lathering.

I also enjoy the sold out NF HMW with the shorter loft. Not as dense and the fan shape is different, but definitely a keeper.

Full disclosure, I do sell the WSP brushes so take my opinion for what its worth.

I've got an Omega #10049 Boar and have found it to be excellent when face lathering. Doesn't wilt or weaken when loaded and wet, nor does it feel hard or bristly when face-lathering. Works a treat with Arko or similar shaving sticks too!

Most any decent brush can be used to face lather. I've tried cheap boar brushes, Vie-long horse hair brushes, eshave pure badger, a large Vulfix badger, Omega synthetic and H.I.S. synthetic from Artistic Brush out of Florida. The H.I.S. is the largest, soft brush with spine and makes lather like crazy. So I don't know where the idea comes from that synthetics will not work for face lathering. There are some very good ones out there now for cheap.

I'll post my personal observations after a week of comparison: Both of my main brushes do a great job for me but with some very distinct differences...

Muhle Silvertib fibre 21mm knot - very slightly scratchy when face lathering (I know some like the exfoliation thing but I'm not one of them) but bearable. It does have a tenancy to let go of dobs of lather at unexpected moments if you get a little exuberant whilst lathering your face, necessitating an extended clean up operation immediately post shave or running the risk of slipping on a dob of lather and headbutting the porcelain (not that I've ever done that you understand).

New Forest 'tubby' no 1 silvertip 24mm knot in Tigris Perla - soooo not itchy in any way shape or form and no unexpected dobs of lather flying off the brush.

I really rate the Muhle silvertip fibre, its the most efficient lathering thing you've ever seen and will remain my go-to brush for bowl lathering, but I'm really rather enjoying the distinct difference of a luxurious face lather with the new forest brush at the weekend (and when I've earned it during the week).

Just got an OMEGA #11573 from Maguires. Hopefully it will arrive very soon.
Its predominantly for face lathering.

I shyed away from boar brushes after my first wilkinson sword brush was IMO awful.

But I've been convinced on here that its worth trying again.

cruciate said:
Just got an OMEGA #11573 from Maguires. Hopefully it will arrive very soon.
Its predominantly for face lathering.

I shyed away from boar brushes after my first wilkinson sword brush was IMO awful.

But I've been convinced on here that its worth trying again.

I too have had avoided boar due completely to a less than successful affair with the much berated wilkinson sword brush which put me off them and I've read with interest others glowing testimonials of other boar brushes. Hmmm.

FWIW, I recently bought an Omega 10065 from Connaught for the princely sum of £4.80. I bought it mainly as a brush to pop in the sponge bag when travelling but have been using it a bit to break it in. While I prefer the feel of my BBR badger, it whips up a nice lather when face lathering Palmolive soap from a ramakin.

_

Try the Vie-Long 13061M set to 50mm loft, it's soft and has great backbone, although it will smell like a horse for the first few days.

Back
Top Bottom