7/8" Kropp in Ebony

Having seen a recent post by Mikael and admiring the scales, I cleaned up this Kropp and made something similar. The scales are Ebony with a finishing Oil - the same as used on shave brushes - so it's fine for use with razors and buffs up nicely.

These Kropps are great razors and take a fantastic edge - this feels as if it's no exception but I havn't shaved with it yet.

IMG_1028_zps316d1202.jpg

IMG_1027_zps02bb5016.jpg

IMG_1026_zpsd20c83f7.jpg

IMG_1029_zpsec38b11b.jpg

That's a very interesting shape you have going on there Rob, reminds me of some sort of exotic ground nesting bird. PS you are right about the Kropps they are great shavers, I just finished honing a NOS Kropp today, I think most of them are full hollow ground and they are one of the easiest razors to hone, forgot to mention as well you very rarely see a 7/8 Kropp.

Jamie.

FotoFlexer_Photo_zps37946f1d.jpg

Holy crap. My favourite brand of blade in something inspired, I think, by Mikael's Buddel that I have so often coveted?

Woof. Do want. That's a stunner.

I think your scales looks better than mine, much nicer curves and flow in the shape!

No Buddel though, I'm afraid Rick (wouldn't mind one though, not at all actually :D).

oscar11 said:
Very nice. What do you use for a finish on your wood?

Hi Oscar. I use a product called Liberon that's available here. It's similar to Tung and Danish oils and has a hardener. I found that three coats with a minimum 6 hour gap and followed by buffing on a wheel with a little wax results in pretty good protection.

One of the brush makers on this site (Bill, Le Tuft) told me he uses it and I reasoned that a brush will get far more direct exposure to water than scales do.

That is spectacular, Rob! :heart:

Curves like a bird, alright. 'Cept I was thinking of the non-feathered sort. ;)

P.S. Is it this Liberon oil?

DnfD3a7ivoI4MXQIcDv_3Qbw3aXv6_uyLzE6MB_9FU0f0joBRlDQ8X60B4shPx4thhB9jVn-DC_HMdEjT4YJ7DyUWf7Ya61tMh-Smx_ogjedDcum3QhMk1AJFBe9Kn6Q1og4ft0fSFBsIOfpxnZeHqE-1C9rqw=s220-c

Gairdner said:
That is spectacular, Rob! :heart:

Curves like a bird, alright. 'Cept I was thinking of the non-feathered sort. ;)

P.S. Is it this Liberon oil?

That's the one Graeme - I could only find it on the net as the likes of B&Q don't stock it. However, a little goes a long way so the cost with postage is worthwhile.

Dr Rick said:
Which one AM I thinking of, then, Mikael? You used it recently.

My Shavemac made by Dovo, sorry for thread jacking Rob (but this way everyone can see that your scales out classes Shavemacs :))!
0081024x676-1_zps91a3a242.jpg

Thanks, Rob.

That's a lovely razor too Mikael but you're right, Rob's outclasses it in form and finish. I am imagining pippy Yew heartwood with the layered, concentric brass washers (again!) on that Kropp but the Ebony is stunning.

I was thinking of this one, of fonthunter's, who I hope won't mind me reposting his sotd pic:

[attachment=6581]

The resemblance is less strong than I've thought. Gorgeous, both.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361113689910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361113689910.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 35
Gairdner said:
Thanks, Rob.

That's a lovely razor too Mikael but you're right, Rob's outclasses it in form and finish. I am imagining pippy Yew heartwood with the layered, concentric brass washers (again!) on that Kropp but the Ebony is stunning.

Cheers and very true!

Back
Top Bottom