7/8 custom, buffalo horn

You buggers are going to make me want to try a straight again, which is stupid as I've already convinced myself on more than one occasion that I don't get on with them!

That is a seriously tasty piece of kit.

Ian

Arrived safely and a close shaver it is too, thanks Michael W!
23ivspj.jpg

Hey, glad it reached you safely! Is that a coticule? I've recently been given a couple but haven't dared try them out yet.

Don't worry Jamie, I've got a lovely piece put to one side for yours :)

mikew said:
Is that a coticule? I've recently been given a couple but haven't dared try them out yet.

Michael, yes a coticule, living in Belgium it's what most people do round here. You must give it a try...from bevel set to ninja-sharp in 15 minutes...by the way it's only in the picture as a prop, I didn't use it on your razor which is perfect as is!

MichaelS said:
Michael, yes a coticule, living in Belgium it's what most people do round here. You must give it a try...from bevel set to ninja-sharp in 15 minutes...

That's quite a claim Michael - stand back and be prepared to answer all the questions that I'm sure this will raise.

You should maybe start by explaining that not all coticules are the same in terms of finishing. I have two but have not mastered them just yet and can't get the same level of sharpness that I can from others. That's not a criticism of Coticules as a whole - I believe there are techniques required to get the best out of them that I haven't worked out yet.

Rob, I'm largely self taught and don't claim to be an expert! In fact rule No 1 is "beware of self-styled natural stone gurus who claim exclusivity to "The Way'" :)

With that proviso, some random comments from my experience of four different coticules, all of which have worked for me - albeit some faster than others:

- go to the coticule.be web site for a lot of the basic background.
- get the longest stone you can afford. The 250mm x 60mm is ideal but yes I know it requires a second mortgage. But boy does it make life easier and quicker!
- my stone of this size which gives me the best results is relatively soft and cuts fast. Soft coticules have got some stick lately but mine is great! I now only use this stone.
- I do a modified version of the Dilucot.
- I hone without tape and polish out any spine scratches later (I just like the sound of metal on the stone which tape dulls out). Exception are wedges which get tape.
- for the bevel setting, I refresh the slurry completely 3 or 4 times (which is possibly more than usual but then again it's a fast stone and the slurry darkens very fast) until the blade cuts arm hair easily (but still with some popping)
- I skip the dilution phase of Dilucot which I can't be bothered with :) and go straight to water-only until arm hair falls over silently with no popping.
- About 1 in 5 razors doesn't quite make it and I have no idea why not. If the gap is significant, I keep going water-only with my trusty pale grey/green Thuringian which has always worked so far. Small gap and I will go to the green/red paste paddle, again works.
- then linen and leather.
- all this gives the coticule edge, which is characterized by a grippiness which gives great feedback between edge and face (don't confuse 'grip' with 'pull' which is obviously negative) and is possibly also safer for beginners.

Enough rambling, I would welcome suggestions and hear about other experiences, thanks!

Michael

Thanks Michael. You have made me resolve to try them again, I'd like to try and achieve the grippiness you refer to and see how it compares to my usual Jnat.

I did try the Dilucot at one stage but the 'one drop of water at a time' seemed a bit much. I have the smaller stone and have used it effectively when I needed a rolling stroke on a narrower hone.

Back
Top Bottom