6 Nations 2013

Well done Wales - my second prediction was just a lousy as my first! Trouble is, knowing my luck, my final prediction will be correct, and we'll lose to Ireland tomorrow!

As far as what's happened to French rugby, I'm at a loss to explain it. They've lost their attacking ability completely - they remind me a little of the Italian team of old; a massive scrum and nowt else. Speaking of the scrum - what was that idiot referee doing awarding penalties every time a scrum went down given tha abysmal state of the pitch?

I was praying for that result, I cannot wait for the England game, I just hope France don't win next week against England or that really would make the Wales England game not so appealing, so I'm hoping England will be traveling to Wales looking for a grand slam everything to play for.

Jamie

384x235_England_fans1_fullsize.jpg

I watched both 'big' games this weekend, no disrespect to Scotland/Italy, and can't help saying that the standard of rugby on offer was poor. Wales won against probably the worst French team I can remember (and I've seen some poor French performances), and England manged to convert more penalties in a game where neither side looked like scoring a try.

I appreciate that weather conditions make a difference, but I really can't imagine either Australia or New Zealand having any problems in overcoming what was on offer this wek-end.

I agree with your summing up on this weekends games Rob, I don't think the Big three from the southern hemisphere will hardly be shaking in their boots after watching those games, but England and Wales are both very young teams and I will bet my house on it by the time the next world cup comes around they will both be teams playing in the quarter finals, and anything can happen once you get there.

Jamie

Yes, I agree with you Jamie. And the fact that it will take place in the northern hemisphere will mak a big difference.

However, what is most disappointing about this week-end is that you looked forward to what, on paper, were two great games, and what did we get? Two very ordinary, passionless encounters - in fact I can't recall ever seeing such a lack of emotion on any equivalent week-end. Even the fans looked as if they were trying too hard to create an atmosphere that just wasn't there.

I really don't know why this is but can only hope that by the time the Wales/England encounter comes arond, things will have hotted up a bit.

Two bright points about the Ireland vs England game - I hadn't bought a ticket and we didn't hear much from Jonathan Davies. Is it possible to be a worse commentator than Dewi Morris? I think Jonathan is trying to be!

Can you remember how passionate you felt playing an entire game in cold rain? I guess you'd be wondering if the money was worth it long before half time - I would anyway.

How about the four Championship teams for the World Cup semis? Yee-owww!

Bechet45 said:
Can you remember how passionate you felt playing an entire game in cold rain? I guess you'd be wondering if the money was worth it long before half time - I would anyway.

Carl, I played 2nd team club cricket for 25 plus years and still managed to show more emotion than France managed on Saturday.

UKRob said:
Bechet45 said:

Carl, I played 2nd team club cricket for 25 plus years and still managed to show more emotion than France managed on Saturday.

You played club cricket in cold rain? I played club bowls for the Old Codger's Also-Rans and we played in the summer rain till the woods started aqua-planing.

Bechet45 said:
UKRob said:
Bechet45 said:

You played club cricket in cold rain? I played club bowls for the Old Codger's Also-Rans and we played in the summer rain till the woods started aqua-planing.

There were quite a few occasions when I played cricket in cold rain - at least if felt cold at the time.

The point I was trying to make is that is that your quote about ' I guess you'd be wondering if the money was worth it long before half time - I would anyway.' never occured to me - or anyone else that was playing in the same game.

The era is long gone when rugby players can complain about their 'conditions'. Yesterdays performance from the French team was beyond woeful - it stank.

Bechet45 said:
Two bright points about the Ireland vs England game - I hadn't bought a ticket and we didn't hear much from Jonathan Davies. Is it possible to be a worse commentator than Dewi Morris? I think Jonathan is trying to be!

How about the four Championship teams for the World Cup semis? Yee-owww!

I loved playing in the rain. It meant my lack of skill and pace brought everyone down to my level! That said it is far more disspiriting to be going backwards and losing in the rain than going forwards and winning. I bet they have nicer changing facilities too then we ever experienced. Try as I might I can never forget the cold, muddy, wet floors that seemed to be the norm.

As for worst commentator - Matt Dawson, surely. Just like an over excited child. All scrum halves are annoying - it's part of the job description, but couldn't he have left it on the pitch?

Haven't seen England's game, but from what I have read and heard they toughed it out, stuck to the task and showed resilience. I was hoping for that. I cannot believe that France will not at some stage put on a performance worthy of the players they have, but at the moment they are woeful. Wales will come back with confidence and belief as will Scotland, Ireland will have been stung, as will Italy. Great tournament so far although not in terms of quality.

Jon

Judging by this weekend's games the hot competition is for last. Uniformly poor. Ireland looked the most promising of a bad lot but were too undisciplined to win against an England side showing their old ability to win ugly.

I don't think this low standard can or will continue, happily.

Back
Top Bottom