3 different frameback straights

Here's a picture of three different versions of frameback razors.

Left is a Leon Pelleray with fixed blade. Centre is a J A Helberg - this is simply a very narrow blade with a removable brass spine. Lastly we have a Jaques Lecoultre with removable blade. There's something about the frameback and blade shape that is appealing.

IMG_0903.jpg

I've never shaved with one but they do say they are excellent shavers, I've been looking at a few NOS Japanese framebacks I know Toyo and Hairup have some nice looking framebacks, maybe I'll have to buy one to see what they are like.

Jamie

Sezer74 said:
The Geordie Shaver said:
I have been wondering about "frameback's" Rob , how do they shave and any advantage's or disadvantage's over traditional straight's ?
Derrick
+1

They shave excellently.

The advantage with a removeable blade is that you can change it out. Disadvantage is the weld lines.

The Geordie Shaver said:
I have been wondering about "frameback's" Rob , how do they shave and any advantage's or disadvantage's over traditional straight's ?
Derrick

To be honest Derrick, I've acquired all three in the last week or so and only honed them over the week-end so no chance to try them out yet. There's no reason why the should be any different - all three took a nice edge.

UKRob said:
The Geordie Shaver said:
Derrick

To be honest Derrick, I've acquired all three in the last week or so and only honed them over the week-end so no chance to try them out yet. There's no reason why the should be any different - all three took a nice edge.

It would be good to hear any feedback you may have in the future , I think I have been looking at the same one's Jamie has ,but, too early in my straight career to be buying more razor's

Derrick

For me a frameback is a nice change of pace and it can be very good too, but never as good as the best wedges or hollow ground razors (for me, but I've still got several framebacks).

Framebacks're also different from each other, the middle ones for example often are very light razors and if you go down in size (from that one) they therefor can be hard to handle and nothing for a newbie. The best (for me) kind I've had, was of the same kind as the Leon Pelleray (but a Heljestrand).

The Geordie Shaver said:
"they therefor can be hard to handle and nothing for a newbie."

Mikael you old spoil sport , that puts pay to that little buying spree.....................at least for a few weeks :icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

Derrick

Well, "can be" :D, a very light razor can be harder to handle, since you _maybe_ don't trust the weight being enough. Same can be true for DEs... :icon_razz:

Mikael said:
For me a frameback is a nice change of pace and it can be very good too, but never as good as the best wedges or hollow ground razors (for me, but I've still got several framebacks).

Although my collection doesn't begin to compare to Mikael's, I still have some very nice hollow grounds and, I have to say, that I find the framebacks give just as good a shave as any of them. Since starting this post I've added another couple and will be cleaning and re-scaling them in the next few weeks. I'll update the pictures then.

It's a personal thing, I think, what razor's best for you... Sure, there are some common grounds for a good razor in general, but some like wedge grinds and some prefer hollow grinds and some framebacks (an Aussie buddy of mine really loves them).

Back
Top Bottom