1st soap wilkinson sword question

my first soap was wilkie blue tub! i used every last bit of it. i didnt know any better then, it was ok-preferable to cheap crap in a tin foam-i even liked the scent! ultimately though, i wont be buying another tub any time ever.

Is the Wilkinson's stick not worth bothering about? I have been trying to hunt it down in local chemists but no luck at all. (I did notice it seems to cost a bit more than the Palmolive stick). I think the Palmolive stick is fab for it's price point and performance.

Greetings

It is just possible to shave with it but only just! The Wilkinson sticks are on the other hand are very good.

In all seriousness the Wilkinson Sword Bowl is probably the poorest soap I have tried.

Regards
Dick.

The Wilkinson Sword bowl makes an ideal holder for Palmolive sticks. I binned the WS soap then cut 3 or 4 Palmolive sticks to size and arranged them in a circle as shown in the link. 7 sticks cut to size fit perfectly. A bit of water binds the sticks solidly together. This is much easier than grating the stuff.

Re: RE: 1st soap wilkinson sword question

Ned Lud said:
The Wilkinson Sword bowl makes an ideal holder for Palmolive sticks. I binned the WS soap then cut 3 or 4 Palmolive sticks to size and arranged them in a circle as shown in the link. 7 sticks cut to size fit perfectly. A bit of water binds the sticks solidly together. This is much easier than grating the stuff.

Do you mean 7 slices or 7 sticks?
Good idea btw.

I've got a large stock of Palmolive sticks so I've not counted the number of sticks used as I've only done this twice, but I would think three. It depends how much soap is required in the bowl - the sticks can be cut to whatever height is required.
The only reason I ended up with the Wilkinson Sword bowl was that I asked SWMBO to get me some Palmolive sticks from Asda (not that I needed them) and she came back with the WS bowl - she thought the nice blue colour would go well in the bathroom:huh:

The way I put the sticks in is:

Pull the stick out of the holder and take all the foil off.

Sit the stick in the middle of the empty WS bowl and note where to make the cut to the required height with a sharp knife.

Cut the other sticks at the same height to give an additional six.

Look down into the bowl with the centre stick in place and note where the slope/bevel begins on the base of the bowl.

Trim the bottom of the remaining six sticks to roughly the same shape as the base of the bowl (you don't need to be accurate) so that they fit around the central stick.

At this point there will be quite large gaps between the sticks, the trimmings can be shoved in here or binned as required. Adding a small quantity of water to the bowl will make the sticks swell and bind together very firmly. Even without the water, the sticks will bind and go very soft after a few days of normal lathering. Any unevenness in the soft soap surface can be levelled at this point with light thumb pressure.

I hope that helps. If I've not been very clear with my instructions, next time I make one I will take photos of each step and post them.

[attachment=10552]

I've been using the WS soap bowl for the past 3 shaves. The first shave was cold because heat won't conduct through the whole puck easily. So I cut a slice off the soap and shaved with that.

For a shaving bowl I use a small casserole dish over a cup of hot water which I warm in the sink while showering. The thinnish slice of WS soap warmed up easily and lathered well, and I had a very nice shave. The rest of soap can be kept in its container for the next slice.

The smell is a bit unusual, sort of lemony. The soap contains coconut oil - cocos nucifera, and this helps create a smooth shave. I always prefer coconut oil based shaving products. For £2 it is pretty good I reckon. The last time I used WS shaving soap was in the 1990s when I first DE shaved, and the soap came in a black tub with green label.

So if there is all that unwanted WS shaving soap out there..................

(The metal tube is L'Occitane aftershave balm)

Attachments

• img0173a.jpg
    img0173a.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 34
I have used it myself and still have a tub. I like the smell and it does lather up ok for me. Not used it for awhile as i am now using TOBS Sensitive cream!

Keep it! No seriously keep it, go! and buy some Nanny's RIGHT NOW!
give that a bash and then shave with that Wilkie crap as a reference point......open back door and drop kick that Wilkie shit up into the sky :angel:

First soap I ever used, I found it better than erasmic and I managed to get a decent lather with it but I've just bought a vulfix 404 brush and mwf so I doubt I'll ever get the wilkinson sword ever again

Back
Top Bottom