1st Brush

Due to work commitments my razor head development has come to a complete standstill. I've wanted to make a brush for some time now.
I have some ebony left over from doing an oboe restoration which I thought would be perfect for a handle,as for the knot, for a while my thoughts lent towards collecting one of the many unlucky badgers and making my own. I'm sure most of you if not all will be pleased to know that I gave up the idea and duly ordered 2 silvertip 24mm extra hair knots from TGN, anyways here's the results

Terry

[attachment=8537]
[attachment=8538]
[attachment=8539]

Attachments

• rsz_mybrush_001.jpg
    rsz_mybrush_001.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 69
  • rsz_mybrush_004.jpg
    rsz_mybrush_004.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 79
  • rsz_mybrush_006.jpg
    rsz_mybrush_006.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 40
Its a lovely piece of ebony making a very nice brush, got some real depth to that shine in the second photo. Looking forward to seeing it bloom.

Thanks guys, I first sealed the wood with one coat of marine epoxy, lighly sanded it then finished with 2 coats of 2 pack yacht varnish, shall leave it a few more day now before giving it a try

Terry

I've made straight razor scales in Ebony and a tip I picked up from another brush maker, Bill (Le Tuft) is the use of Liberon finishing oil on brushes. About 4 applications together with a finishing brush or mop gives a lovely sheen as opposed to high polish. It something to bear in mind if you make any more and want a different finish.

UKRob said:
I've made straight razor scales in Ebony and a tip I picked up from another brush maker, Bill (Le Tuft) is the use of Liberon finishing oil on brushes. About 4 applications together with a finishing brush or mop gives a lovely sheen as opposed to high polish. It something to bear in mind if you make any more and want a different finish.

My choice would have been an oiled finish, I think it enhances the grain more than a varnish does, The finish first I applied to the handle was just simply polishing the wood but I let my wife talk me into varnishing it, I've still got another knot the same as this one and enough ebony for several more yet, we'll see how the mood takes me with it

Terry

UKRob said:

I'll echo Rob's opinion of the Liberon finishing oil, after all he passed the tip on to me. I have hand carved a few brush handles with just a knife then finished them with multiple coats of the Liberon oil. A couple of layers of wax polish on top and the finish is lovely, very protective and quite natural looking. It's very good stuff.

[attachment=8669]Having used my brush for over a week now I thought it time to post a pictuure of it showing how its bloomed

Terry

Attachments

• used.jpg
    used.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom