1999 Solar eclipse, PCs and mobile phones

[attachment=13428]

As there was an eclipse today, I dug out an old copy of The Times from 12th August 1999, the day after the last (now last but 1 UK major eclipse) that was on 11th August 1999. I was intrigued by the adverts inside the newspaper, especially for laptops and mobile phones. At the time, you could get a mobile for £11.99 per month, and Orange were offering a bonus of 200 extra minutes of talk time, on top of 200 making it 400 minutes a month, for £58.75 a month. Computers cost around £1000 or more for what is now considered tiny memory space, and were pretty clunky things.

I've attached a slide showing this.

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 42
I have an mate who is an ex copper and he always goes hmmmm when the miners strike is mentioned. The overtime paid a huge wadge of his mortgage

ollie9091 said:
I have an mate who is an ex copper and he always goes hmmmm when the miners strike is mentioned. The overtime paid a huge wadge of his mortgage

Sadly though the Tories plan to cut the police budget. Which is a shame I wanted to do something that mattered and work in computer forensics, given how many offenders get to walk because evidence can't be recovered in time for their court appearances.

Don't want to get political but I've no idea which way to vote this time round, nothing really appeals now. All just big talk-talk and promises, fat cats benefiting. I'm sure I wasn't so cynical before I could vote.

Back
Top Bottom