1938 Senator Razor

Ok fellows here's the problem. I have a red personna blade in my oc senator. This morning i shaved 4 passes got just an average shave . Here's another question, how does anybody get a closer shave if the gap is fix on a razor with a sharper blade verses a les sharper blade since it could only cut so deep.I know with my progress i can get a closer shave by adjusting the razor, but with my fix razors is not so.I read all the time that guys get bbs shave with there fix razors, all the different makes and models.By the way my gillette brit #58 just an average shave again with a different blade .Just need some suggestions.:icon_sad:[/size]

If you go back to the original Gillette ads of the era you'll find that they used the ability of the TTO it be used as an ADJUSTABLE by not cranking it all the way closed.(!)as a selling feature. They did it only for a very short period of time. Thought I saved the ad but can't find it. Someone else here, who's more of a historian, may have it.
There are also add ons that have been discussed, I believe here, as to how to easily chg the Gap. Someone may remember those. The concept involved Spacers.

This was the case from the start. Here's a catalog from our Razor Archive dating to 1906:

3.jpg

But...Gillette advised slackening off and therefore opening the blade gap when thicker, stiffer blades were in use..

I'm not saying it can't be done with thinner modern blades but they obviously don't generate the same amount of spring tension, just take care it doesn't loosen excessively or try something with more bite like a NEW.

'Fixed' razors give perfect BBS, why fiddle with adjustables? Sold all of mine. If you can't get it yet, work on our technique. Although with an OC in 4 passess.. Gotta be doing something really wrong. Persona in my experience is by far not the best blade though, despite many folks loving it - probably depends on a razor too, so maybe start from there.

Back
Top Bottom