1920's camera

Re: RE: 1920's camera

Lose the beard said:
You don't scan negs with a normal flatbed scanner though, not if you want a good result anyway, you use a scanner with a back light which shines light through the negative. Mine only does 35mm and 120 film though so I can't help.

You're right. I should have made it clear that the scanner needs to have a film scanning option (basically a light in the lid). So long as you have that I think it's worth a try to see what you can get off the negs. There is lots of information out there on the best way to scan negs.

Unfortunately my LPL enlarger is still packed away, waiting to see the (red) light one day :-(

Another simpler option? If you have a small lightbox you can place the glass on it, and using a tripod and self timer you can take a photo of the neg, you will most likely also need a polarising filter to eliminate reflections from the glass. Then you can play with it in photoshop or whatever program you use. It wont be anywhere near as good as a real print but it will give you a good idea. I have done it with 120 roll film in the past and it worked ok

I have a flatbed film scanner that will scan up to 5" x 4", and I'd be happy to scan those negatives for you if you want - you would have to take the risk of sending them through the post, but if they're well packed they should be OK.

Alan

Deegee said:
According to my copy of McKeowns, you have a Kochmann Enolde 1, dating from around 1928.

Although they do look similar the photo supplied by the OP clearly shows the manufacturer of the camera to be Steinheil Munchen.

If you look at the manufacturers logo of Enolde on the right of the camera lens, the Enolde logo is completely different.

Also the Enolde brand name does not appear on the camera case. Though there is a possibility that they could have merged or that they traded under different brand names as there are Enolde cameras with the SM logo on the lens plate.

Dobbo25 said:
Although they do look similar the photo supplied by the OP clearly shows the manufacturer of the camera to be Steinheil Munchen.

I don't actually see where it says that - would you mind humouring my dimness and telling me exactly where to look?

Oh, here's a quick look at the photos - a direct scan of the negs would be much better quality, of course...

11873063855_cce147b120_o.jpg

11873063835_af40e65547_o.jpg

Apologies Oscroft no Dimness on your part at all, it doesn't actually say who the manufacturer is and, who is to say I'm right :)

On The Right side of camera lens the SM logo looks like a' lens leaf aperture' with the initials ACG, Which I believe to be the SM trademark at the time, see thumbnail on post 5. Though this logo also shows up on some of the Enolde cameras you have mentioned. I've also seen Enolde made cameras with the logo FD to the right side of the lens.

Just came across this as well "The same Enolde brand was used for various folding plate cameras" so another possibility is that they did make this camera under licence for SH. Though I'm sure Enolde made cameras do have the company name imprinted on to the leather case.

Another possibility is that the lens was made by SM for Enolde.

Sorry Oscroft I just threw up more questions than answers :)

Hey guys, if anymore pictures would help let me know.
I've not had chance to do anything with the negs yet. I did invert the colours though like a previous post, good detail in them.

Slightly off topic I saw a Best of "Antiques Roadshow" that had a gold-plated Leica Luxus II, only worth £380,000 at auction. Then again, it wasn't in mint condition. :icon_lol:

I suppose I better get the other three out of my loft.:icon_razz:

Oscroft said:
Dobbo25 said:
Slightly off topic I saw a Best of "Antiques Roadshow" that had a gold-plated Leica Luxus II, only worth £380,000 at auction.

Well, I have a Leica M2 in chrome with brass highlights, worth only around £379,700 less than that!

Nice camera though.
When you say brass highlights, do you mean the winder, film speed dial, flashgun plate etc are brass?

Dobbo25 said:
Slightly off topic I saw a Best of "Antiques Roadshow" that had a gold-plated Leica Luxus II, only worth £380,000 at auction. Then again, it wasn't in mint condition. :icon_lol:
I saw a similar episode, but the Leica in question was a fake... to which the owner was left with a very deflated ego. :)

Oscroft said:
Well, I have a Leica M2 in chrome with brass highlights, worth only around £379,700 less than that!
I prefer my Leica Standard, IIIc and my 5-digit serial FED-NKVD YCCP (type 1c) Leica copy. No idea how much they're worth, but that doesn't concern me. :)

Back
Top Bottom